Sunday, April 14, 2024

It's A Top! Wonky Log Cabin

Wonky Log Cabin
It's a top!
42 x 56

This month the theme in my sewing space is Strings and Things. So far I've worked with bright strings and finished one twin sized top.   Continuing on with bright strings I made 14.5 inch Wonky Log Cabin blocks. 

For the centers I used multicolor on black 4 inch squares. They are left over from many long ago I Spy swaps. 




Most of the strings are from quilt back trimmings or yardage end cuts that are wonky or less than 1.5 inches wide.  I rarely do any cutting to make strings...they just happen.  When I was making the last top with bright strings I set aside any fun kid strings for this quilt. 



I spy...

And sew on...



*****
CELEBRATE! (my word of the year)

April 11 - My refrigerator quit working on April 10. I was able to save the contents because I have a chest freezer and another refrigerator out in the breezeway. I shopped online for a new one, saw they had two in stock so ran into the store to purchase one of them. I hate shopping but thankfully because of my online research I was in and out of the store in no time with a new side by side to be delivered April 13. When I got home I saw FedEx had delivered my Dinnerplate Dahlia bulbs I ordered as a treat for myself a long time ago. 

April 12 - I received a surprise package with some fat quarters and larger pieces of yardage. That was a wonderful ending to a stressful day. I moved my sewing machine and all the other things I moved upstairs to be near hubby back downstairs to my sewing room. I also had to move furniture out of the way to clear a pathway for refrig delivery. I also had to move out and unplug old refrig and figure out how to turn off water hookup for ice machine. Then I measured to be sure old and new refrigerators  would fit through doorways so I would not have to remove doors or anything. Delivery folks evidently don't do that.  After an exhausting day I almost cried when I received that surprise package. 

April 13 - I had the best delivery guys ever! I mentioned that I had to make sure old and new refrig would fit through doorways. The info I received mentioned that if appliance does not fit through doors the delivery folks would just leave me with my old refrig and drop new one off in the garage.  Well, when I measured I forgot to include the handles of my old refrig in the measurement. Ugh. So delivery guy said he would have to leave me with my old refrig. and he would bring in the new one. I asked him if he knew how the handles came off and he said he couldn't help me with that. He further explained that the policy had just changed a short time ago due to a complaint and he was very sorry. I was going to get a hammer and just break the handles off at that point. Meanwhile he said they were going to unload and bring in the new one that would fit through the door because handles were not on it. I went to look online as to how to take handles off my model of refrig but internet was not working. Ugh! I felt like crying. And actually I may have. Then suddenly one of the delivery guys came back in with an electric screwdriver, said nothing, and took off my old refrig handles then they hauled out my old refrig and brought in the new. When it came time to hook back up the water line to refrig they said they didn't do that. I was confused because the store said they would do that (but delivery is contracted out to a different company) and made me buy a new line because they said delivery and installation would not use old lines. I thought I actually paid to have them deliver and install.  So, I went to get my pliers to hook things up myself using the old line since new line would have to be threaded behind cupboards to under the sink. Delivery guy grabbed pliers from me and went ahead and hooked up water for me and waited for me to turn it back on and make sure everything worked okay. I gave both guys a small tip and they thanked me and said that made their day since they both really needed that. And I thanked them and told them they don't know how much I appreciated them helping me out when they really weren't supposed to. I'm not really a huggy type person but I felt like giving them both a hug right then and there. But I didn't. I just told them thank you, thank you for their kindness (doing what they weren't supposed to do for me) and told them they were the best and wished them a wonderful rest of their day. 


15 comments:

Julierose said...

Isn't it just heartwarming to have such kind delivery folks help you out? Happy they were able to get your new fridge in for you!! And happy that you didn't lose your foods!!
Love your wonky log cabin blocks...great finish!!
hugs, Julierose

Nann said...

Oh, how wonderful for the delivery guys to take care of the extras!!!
Hope your new fridge is to your liking.

And the quilt top is so cheerful!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the last time I got an appliance they installed it with no problem. I wonder if that has changed now. I know my husband would be able to install with no problem but didn't realize it might change now. I would have to figure it out!

Elle said...

Bless those men for doing these tasks for you. Kindness beats lawsuits EVERY TIME!

Hugs and happy beautiful Sunday :-)

Laura said...

God bless the delivery people! :)

Anonymous said...

I just adore your happy face wonky log cabin quilts! Kinda chicken to try it myself, though…do you do anything special to get the blocks to lie flat? There must be bias edges on some (which give me fits, I confess!) Thanks, Nancy O.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Some of the delivery guys are strict rule followers and others have compassion. I'm glad you got the right kind.
When I had my quilt shop a delivery of fabric came to the back door, a box almost as big as a coffin. It was on the tailgate and they guy asked me where my helper was since his part of the job was done. I didn't have a helper so he just pushed the box off the tailgate and the box broke and there were bolts of fabric everywhere. He was even a local guy, lived in my town.

Chantal said...

This is a fun quilt. Thank you for all the close-up photos. I love looking at all the different prints. It's fun.
It takes one customer complaining about the delivery for a company to change their policies and then everyone suffers. It's not that the delivery guys aren't willing to help but their hands are tied by stupid policies. I'm glad that their hearts were bigger than the policies and they gave you a hand. I wouldn't have known what to do as DH always handles those things. I would be so stupid without him. God, please bless those delivery guys. Enjoy the surprise package. ;^)

MissPat said...

I'm glad the delivery men were good guys and stepped up to help you get he refrigerator installed and the old one removed. For all that companies claim cstomer service is important to them, the reality doesn't seem to bear that out.
The wonky log cabins are very colorful, but I bet you still have lots of strings left given how many quilts you finished last month.
Pat

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Gosh, what a saga with your refrigerator. What WONDERFUL delivery guys. Sad that in this day, we are supposed to be able to install our purchases ourselves. Love your finish!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Clearly those delivery guys had big hearts and I'll bet their hearts recognized your goodness given the way they responded. Kudos to them and congrats to you for navigating the entire process. Enjoy those new dinner plate dahlias when they bloom.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Don't you just love those little kindnesses! I am so glad they were able to help you - its hard to do these things when its not our experience!
Love your string top too!!! Hugs !

gayle said...

Kindness and empathy always make the world a better place. I'm glad some came your way!

Ann said...

Exchanging appliances is such a chore. What lovely delivery men you had.

Mystic Quilter said...

What a time you had with the change of appliances, thank goodness there are some kind people out there! Another stunner of a quilt top, I'm loving these colours you've gone with.