Sunday, April 21, 2024

Bramble Blooms QAL - Second Border Added



Bramble Blooms #1
52 x 56

This is the first quilt top in a series of 3 in a quilt along hosted by Audrey at Quilty Folk. 

The second border prompt is "Put together a border that includes adding 4-patch, 9-patch, 16-patch or even larger patchwork blocks. You can set your blocks side by side {continuous block layout} or 'on point'. This border can be any width you like. It does not need to have the patchwork blocks throughout--use as few or as many patch blocks as you think will look good!"

Before I added my sixteen patch blocks I added a multicolor green coping border to bring it up to a width and length divisible by 2 since I was going to be using 2 inch (finished) squares and QSTs in my sixteen patch blocks.  

Since the base colors I chose to use for all the Bramble Blooms series of quilts are orange and lime green (mostly scraps) and since the accent color I added to use in my Bramble Blooms quilt #1 is purple those are the colors I used for my sixteen patch blocks.   

I decided to make QSTs since they looked kind of like butterflies and I had appliqued butterflies in the first border. I decided to use mostly lime green for the squares and in all the QSTs because I had a lot of lime green 2.5 inch width scraps I could use that were leftover from making Anvil blocks

I don't usually audition anything. I usually just think of something in my mind and go for it. I don't have a design wall.  If I did I would never like anything I see, second guess myself and dither my time away. 


So it is always fun to see how the top looks when I hang it out on the line for photos. 

I think I want this to be a little longer and was thinking of taking off the corner stones and just adding another row of sixteen patches to top and bottom but for now I am going to leave it as is and wait until I finish Bramble Blooms #2 and #3 tops to make a decision. 






*****
CELEBRATE! (my word of the year)

April 19 - Asparagus! I have a prolific little patch and I have been eating asparagus every day in some form or another.  I love it roasted with a little olive oil and salt and pepper. I use the leftovers chilled in a salad of spring greens, goat cheese, candied pecans and cranberries with balsamic vinegar dressing. A few times I've added leftover chicken breast slices to the salad. I've had a few fritattas with asparagus and tonight I'm having cream of asparagus soup. 

April 20 - A little surprise package of fabric scraps. Oh, happy day! 



 

19 comments:

Nann said...

Oooh, those little hourglasses sparkle!

Julierose said...

Your BB top is looking super--nice additions to that 2nd border...good work hugs, Julierose

Paulette said...

Wow, wow, wow! You really knocked it out of the park with this one! All the elements work together so well (that last border...swoon!).

Laura said...

I love this! Bright and happy! You have done a terrific job with this challenge! :)

Elle said...

The hourglass border is spectacular! Congrats on a bright gorgeous spring quilt.

MissPat said...

I love this. It's so bright and cheery and lime green and purple are two of my favorite colors. I still envy you having fresh asparagus.
Pat

Quiltdivajulie said...

You've done it again - your BB v1 is totally awesome (and I know those aren't your favorite colors but I think they are fabulous). Love what you said about the design wall and dithering . . .

mangozz said...

Your quilt top is so pretty and I would never have thought to use those colors together but they look fantastic! I absolutely love asparagus but don't have it as often as I would like due to the cost, lately around 5.99 lb. which I won't and cannot pay. I really miss my garden.

nestki said...

I LOVE your Bramble Blooms!!! Your asparagus recipes sound delicious, too.

Bonnie said...

What a fun project you are working on. I don't think I would have chosen your colors but I'd be wrong... they look great together. Looking forward to see all three projects.

Mystic Quilter said...

Cathy you have created another stunner here!! Glorious colour!
I need to work on mine, quickly!

Pamela Arbour said...

Oh, Cathy! You sent me down a BIG rabbit hole. I love this quilt. You just always amaze me with your creations. Thank you for sharing so much of the process. You have really taught me a lot about your process. I'm always learning something. I had not seen Quilty Folk's blog either, so now I have signed up to receive her posts. No pics for asparagus? We started some asparagus, but we have never tried it before. How is your husband doing?

Helenchaffin said...

The colors blend very well together,congrats on the finish of the first top,I'm doing this sewalong as well & gotta get busy! LoL

Quilting Babcia said...

Sunny and bright! I just love your bold color choices. The little hourglass blocks are like tiny bursts of light, perfect!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Oh those little QSTs are just adorable! They do remind me of butterflies. The asparagus sounds luscious.

Gretchen Weaver said...

I'm really like your Bramble Blooms, the butterflies are so cute!

Helenchaffin said...

Fantastic! I luv the butterfly's around the flowers!

audrey said...

This is so awesome looking Cathy! I love the way the darker colors in the border draw the eye in and add layers. Your pieced 'butterflies' are perfect! Such a fresh, fun looking quilt! Thanks so much for following along!

Dot Brooker, New Zealand. said...

Your quilt is so happy! Like others, love the colours.
If you haven't already, please try raw asparagus, delicious, like fresh
green peas, I have to get two bundles when in season - one to cook. the
other to munch on.
Cheers, Dot, NZ.