Saturday, July 8, 2023

Monkey Wrenches

Monkey Wrenches 
7.5 inch
Made with red scraps which happens to be the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) color of the month.

I also made a few of them with brown scraps. 

For the last year or so I've been making Monkey Wrench blocks in three different sizes from scraps with the intent at some point to make the blocks into donation/comfort quilts. 

I now have a big pile of 7.5 inch finished Monkey Wrench blocks so I decided that maybe I should count up and see how many I have. Well, I counted 135 blocks.   Now I think the next step is to divide the blocks into different piles for different quilts. 

After I divide the blocks into piles then I can make a few more blocks if necessary. I have a baggie of 3.5 inch width scraps I've come across in my scrap processing that I put into the Monkey Wrench project box so I have some scraps ready to use. If the baggie of 3.5 inch width scraps is not needed for more Monkey Wrench blocks then those scraps will go into other projects in the works that use 3.5 inch width scraps. 

And sew on...


 

14 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your monkey wrenches are piling up! Do you know how many you need for one quilt?

Sara said...

Monkey Wrench blocks make a great quilt, and you have a terrific collection going.

maggie fellow said...

I can't wait that long to count - nice work

Cathy said...

I love how you process your scraps, using colors and neutrals to continually beat them back. I need to incorporate more of my low volumes in everyday RSC blocks as you do! It’s a goal I’m setting for myself in 2024!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Wow, you have done well to stitch so many blocks. I too enjoyed reading about your organization and plans for these pretty blocks. Happy Stitching from me!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Love your monkey wrenches! I spy a fabric or two that I have in my stash, too. LOL!

Jenny said...

Lots of monkey wrenches in three different sizes, wonder how many quilts you will be able go make from all these blocks? As an unscientific guess, I'd say "heaps".

Chantal said...

Oh, My! 135 blocks can make a few quilts, especially if you add sashing. I predict Monkey Wrench tops in your near future, lol. Enjoy! ;^)

Pamela Arbour said...

I love your organization and planning style.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Very impressive. The monkey wrench block is a fabulous way to show scraps. Looking forward to seeing how you sort them.

Quilter Kathy said...

Fun red wrenches! See that green fabric with the roses in the bag... that's one of my 1990s fabric and I still have some!! So funny to see a piece of it in your stash!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Love all the monkey wrenches.All those different colors/fabrics make them never boring but fun.

gayle said...

Looking forward to seeing those monkeys in action! Big fun coming, I can tell!

mangozz said...

I have some of that green and red fabric in the block in the bottom right corner. It's always a surprise when I can identify a fabric from someone else's quilts or squares. That is one fabric than I always had a hard time using. You are moving right along with these quilt blocks.