Sunday, July 23, 2023

Embroidering Pillowcases

I mentioned a few weeks ago that long long ago I used to pick up different needlework projects at the thrift store to work on after I retired.   One of the things I've been working on lately is embroidering stamped pillowcases.    I picked up this one for 65 cents as you can see from the thrift store tag. 

It must be a very old pillowcase.  It has some brown storage stains that I think will come out with a  soak in oxyclean. I didn't want to soak it before stitching for fear I would lose the stamped design.   And look at the original pricetag...from Penneys and 2/1.00! Gosh the pillowcase is so soft and according to the gold tag on it the pillowcase is 100 percent cotton with 140  threads to square inch. 


Well, now it is finished and ready for a soak!

Next up - a pair of stamped pillow cases I picked up for $1.95.

Those are finished now too.

And now in the hoop -- pillowcases with horses. I picked this pair up at the thrift store for $2.95. Looks like originally they were sold at Ben Franklin for $7.99.  

I have been using some variegated threads to stitch on this one. 


This set of pillowcases has a hemstitched edge for crochet. I do have a couple of old vintage pamphlets of patterns for crochet edgings for pillowcases so I guess I need to dig those out as well as my crochet hooks and box of crochet threads. 

Working on all of these pillowcases has kind of inspired me to make some pillowcases. I have quite a few vintage embroidery transfers for pillowcases. 

And sew on...


 

14 comments:

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Darling pillow cases that you are working on. I always enjoy having embroidered pillowcases on my bed. Cathy, I have been enjoying reading through your older posts this week. I have been reading the year 2018. Not only have I enjoyed seeing all of your gorgeous quilts, but also snippets of your garden of that year. You are an inspiration. I am looking forward to reading more posts today. Thank you.

Gretchen Weaver said...

The pillowcases are so pretty! I usually just use a narrow stitch of zigzag on lace for pillowcase edges that need to be finished.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your pillow case stitching is fun to see! My mother-in-law made us several sets of those many years ago, and I loved and used them so much that they have all fallen apart now. I should see if I can find some kits like that and continue the tradition!

Karrin Hurd said...

Beautiful stitching on the pillow cases!

The Cozy Quilter said...

My grandmother made embroidered pillowcases for all her grandchildren for Christmas one year. I still have them. Yours are lovely.

Linda said...

Your pillow cases are so very pretty. They reminded me of our dear New Zealand friend who is always embroidering pillow cases.

Jenny said...

I remember reading a while ago that you were working on embroidered pillowcases, and look how many you have completed! Well done, you. These projects must be very satisf6to complete, I imagine.

CathieJ said...

Those vintage pillowcases are just like the vintage bibs that I have been working on. It is amazing how low the prices are. I do have to warn you that the discoloration may not come out with oxyclean. I washed the vintage bibs in Oxiclean and they are still yellow.

grammajudyb said...

Enjoyed seeing your vintage pillowcases! I have several sets, handed down to me. I have embroidered pillowcases in the past but not lately! My DH doesn’t like them! Men!!!

Nann said...

Years ago I bought a pair of stamped, unstitched pillowcases at an antiques shop. I thought I'd never see anything like them again. Was I mistaken! (But I still haven't stitched them.) I've wondered why that blue stamp process hasn't been replicated for home users. It could revolutionize quilt marking.

cityquilter grace said...

those are so very nice....vintage linens are special items...my aunts taught me to embroider as a child...their hope chests were filled with such beauties...

mangozz said...

I've always loved embroidered pillowcases and especially with crocheted edging. I haven't actually been able to make myself use any because they are too special. This is what I hear sometimes in regard to quilts, which really annoys me. Funny thing.

Sharon M said...

As a child, I made several of these pillowcases and taught our daughter to embroider using similar cases when she was young. Now the cases are used on the granddaughter's beds.
You found some lovely buys. Enjoy the process and thanks for the memories...
I thoroughly enjoy your blog and would like to know you.
Sharon M

Anonymous said...

I love to see hand embroidery and it's even better when it is vintage embroidery. Your work is so pretty. The prices you found these make it all the better. Thanks for sharing. (Sandra)