Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Assessing The 2 Inch Square WIPs

Over the last year or so two different people have gifted me with gallon bags full of 2 inch squares. I have been having some fun since then figuring out different ways to use them.  Earlier in the month I finished a child sized donation quilt top using dark and light squares. 

I'm almost finished with the one above. I just had to see how far my lime green solid would go before I decided how to finish it up around the edges. 

I wanted to make the border like the inner sashings. I had enough lime green for the longer sashing pieces but not enough to put into the nine patches so I'll make the nine patches in the border all from 2 inch squares without the lime green squares.   Now that I have the pieces cut and a lot of the 2 inch squares sewn together I have no excuse to turn it into a UFO. 

You know...originally I was making the Sixteen Patches for Arkansas Crossroads blocks. After I made a few blocks this old lady was getting an old lady vibe from the blocks so I kind of put them aside thinking maybe they would go into the orphanage.   Then someone gave me that lime green solid piece of yardage and a different quilt that gave off a bright and wild vibe was born that used the Sixteen Patches I had made. 


I recently finished a Paper Chain quilt using 2 inch squares.   I mentioned in that blog post that I was thinking of making a baby quilt in that pattern using pastels. 



And so I have now started a baby quilt using 2 inch pastel squares and a pink floral I had in my little stack of pinks. I wasn't sure if I was going to have enough of the pink floral and thought I might have to add in another pink fabric so I started cutting pieces of pink for 49 blocks (42 x 42 quilt) and when I made that goal I did the math to see if I had enough pink fabric to make 7 more blocks for a little quilt 42 x 48. Well, I did!  

So I just need to make more of these easy blocks.  I have no excuse to turn this into a UFO.

And not only was I separating out the pastels from the bags of 2 inch scraps as I made quilts - I was also separating out the black, white, black and white and solid color or TOT squares to make Four Patches with black, white and one other color.  I was thinking of a small quilt for this one. 

And I am thinking right now of alternating the Four Patches with some solid color squares. I have a little baggie of 3.5 inch width solid scraps I'll be able to use. 

And now I am down to this right now. I know when I get around to processing a few piles of scraps I will have more to add because I have been adding to it and not just taking out of it.  I might have to finish a quilt with an old lady vibe for an old lady. Or...

I was reading Maureen's blog this morning and she was talking about how she didn't want to get her smidgy bits muddled.  That made me laugh. My smidy bits are always muddled!  But what a fun name for scraps...Muddled Smidgy Bits!

And sew on...

 

11 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

a lot of little 2 inch squares to use for sure

gayle said...

My smidgy bits are generally muddled as well!

Jenny said...

The lime green certainly gives a zing to the darker hued patches, and the pink baby quilt has a lovely soft vibe to it. Patches, patches everywhere, but you are certainly powering through them.

Gretchen Weaver said...

You sound like you're having fun with the 2" squares. Happy stitching!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

The lime green fabric looks fabulous with these blocks, Cathy.The pop that it needed. Happy quilting.

Linda said...

Your new uses for the 2” squares are great. Is there a name for the blocks that have solids making a link pattern?

Quilter Kathy said...

Oh my... that lime green is a night light! LOL
You are doing a great job of using up those squares!
And... everything in my life is made up of smidgy muddled bits! LOL

Nann said...

Actually that old lady vibe will be pretty vibrant if you make a few of those Arkansas crossroads blocks with something like the lime green. (I gather you've used all of that but surely you have something similar.) [Little Old Lady from Little Rock?]

MissPat said...

I looked up Arkansas Crossroads and found that most of them used white for the crosses. I'm intrigued to see what yours will look like using multiple colors for the cross pieces.
Pat

nestki said...

I must be an old lady because I love the Arkansas crossroads blocks.

Mystic Quilter said...

What fun to see you have named my small scraps - now I must get busy on a quilt using the scraps and obviously the quilt name with be Muddled Smidgy Bits - thanks Cathy. I'm enjoying seeing the photos of all your gifted small squares being sewn up into quilts, pity I don't live in the USA, I could have given you quite a large package of mine!