Saturday, April 9, 2022

Tickled Pink!


The Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) color of the month is pink. 

Last week I mentioned I had a lot of larger pink scraps around 4.5 to 5 inches in width. So I started pairing some pinks with some grays and started making 4.5 inch (unfinished) HSTs. After that I had a lot of pink 4.5 inch squares and pieces left so I made a second quilt top. 

The pink and gray HST top - 56 x 72




There's lots of different pinks and grays. I don't have a design wall and usually just sew blocks together randomly. For this one I didn't exactly sew the 4 Patch HST blocks together in a totally random manner - I tried to put all the lighter blocks near the top and darker near the bottom as I webbed blocks together.

The second top is a Wiggle Time variation -- I made a version bigger than the pattern  so this top measures 60 x 76. I also made my "wiggles" scrappy but all in pink. 



I hunted around for something to use for the background and came up with an old pink floral in my stash. If I didn't have enough of that I was thinking of going scrappy neutral for the background. 


Some of the lighter pink squares kind of blend into the background but I think after it is quilted with some garlands of flowers in pink thread it will be okay. 

Both quilts will be donation quilts someday when all is said and done. 



And there's more...



If there was enough of the 4.5 inch strip left to cut two 2.5 x 4.5 pieces then I did. And then I made some Hearts for a quilt I'm making for me with red, pink and white hearts. I'm making it in memory of my granddaughter Kayla who recently died from "probable cardiac arrhythmia". 

The hearts have "flippy corners" on the bottom and the cutoffs were made into bonus HSTs which were then sewn into strips of five for a slow moving quilt inspired by a vintage one. 

Then I combined some 4.5 inch scraps with some 2.5 inch scraps and made a couple of Dandy Blocks...

...and a few Bear Paws for the growing collection. 

Speaking of growing collections...I made a few 8 Patch blocks. I had a few 2.5 inch width pieces that yielded four 2.5 x 3.5 cuts so I combined them with some previously cut pieces in that project box. 

While I was in that 8 Patch project box I matched up some previously cut pieces and made a few more blocks. 

Then any 4.5 inch scraps left got cut into squares if possible. Same with the leftover 2.5 inch scraps - squares and/or 1.5 x 2.5 inch pieces for the Lego Project box. 

Any pieces less than a 4.5 inch square was sewn into a strip for a future Chinese Coin quilt. 

Then I made a few Horizon blocks for my collection with some 5 x 9.5 pieces. 

Yes, I do have some pink scraps left  - mostly strings and crumbs I think.


 

29 comments:

Julie in GA said...

Wow, you had an amazingly productive week with your pink scraps! I love both quilt tops. Pink and grey is a great color combo, and that Wiggle Time pattern is excellent as a scrappy quilt. I'm in awe of all the blocks you made!

Nann said...

Wow! You're in the pink today! (But hopefully your stash is someone out of pink after all of this.)

Julierose said...

Wonderful "scrap work"; using up all those leftover pieces!! I love the 1/2 sq triangles pieces...hugs, Julierose

The Joyful Quilter said...

PINK overload, Cathy!! You really made those scraps work for you. Congrats on getting TWO lovely quilt tops together!

scraphappy said...

Wow! Those blocks turned into quilts in a hurry. They look great! Hopefully all that sewing helped you make a dent in the scrap bin.

Anonymous said...

Wow! These are all just fabulous.

Chantal said...

You did all that in one week! I'm tired just looking at all your work. Amazing! You rock, girl! You do have a lot of pink fabric. All your blocks are beautiful. Congrats on getting two tops done. ;^)

Sue said...

Wow! You've been busy! The HST is gray & pink looks great, as does the Wiggle Time. I've had that pattern for years & never made one. I keep seeing them come up, so maybe it's getting to be the time for me! Love all your hearts for Kayla.

grammajudyb said...

Oh my gracious, so much pinky goodness! Love the heart blocks you are making in memory of Kayla! And the scrappy Wiggle Time is awesome! I think a scrappy background would work too! I’ll have to keep that in mind!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Dang! you forgot to sleep this week!
Those quilt tops are adorable!! The Pink and grey pair wonderfully together ( sounds like I'm talking about wines haha!)

and your hearts are perfect!

Char said...

Wow, you’ve been real busy! Love the quilt tops!!

Linda said...

What an amazing array of Pink sewing! Can’t believe how much you have accomplished with your pink scraps, you must have had buckets of them. Your scrappy Wiggle Time has worked out really well. Those hearts are gorgeous. What a lovely quilt you will have, a wonderful keepsake to remember Kayla.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

positively perfect pink progress!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Lots of fun with pink at your house this week! I really love the pink and gray HSTs and your Wiggle Time variation. The heart quilt will be a special keepsake!

gayle said...

Wow! Wow wow wow!
No, really, WOW!

Jenny said...

Pink, pink, and even more pink blocks! I'm sorry to read about your granddaughter, making those pretty heart blocks for a memory quilt is a lovely idea.

Linda Swanekamp said...

What a wealth of blocks and ideas. I would have a hard time deciding what to do first.

Deb A said...

My goodness - you have been sewing up a storm in pink! Love the HST quilt in pink and grey. Sew many great block collections in progress - you sure will be busy at the end of the year.

Sandy Panagos said...

Well, you and your pinks have been very busy!

Astrid said...

That's a LOT of pretty pinks! You've been busy, well done!

Kat said...

I love the pink quilts. So much scrappy goodness! And so many pink scraps. I only wish I had a tenth of the energy/organization you have for quilting. I’d actually have something to show every week. LOL. The lovely hearts are such a meaningful project to pay tribute to your beloved granddaughter. ❤️❤️

Pamela Arbour said...

You have a lot of good pink quilts going on there. Love it. I found something interesting about your blog. If I get it by email notification or by google, I get a warning of a possible threat, but if I access your blog through RSC challenge, I have no problem. Go figure?????LOL

karenbbsnow said...

Two pretty pink quilt tops. Cynthia's Wiggle time is on my bucket list.

Quilter Kathy said...

Total scrap happiness! Lovely pink quilts and blocks!

Ivani said...

What a great variety o Pink scraps. Love the 2 Pink tops and all The blocks, The heart quilt Will be lovely in Pink, red and white. You rock!!!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Wonderful use of all those pink scraps. They are all such happy quilts. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

QuiltGranma said...

You are definitely In The Pink! And being prolific at it as well.

Mystic Quilter said...

What an amazing collection of Pinks!!! The Heart quilt you're making in memory of Kayla which will bring you comfort both in the stitching of the Hearts and snuggling underneath the quilt when completed.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

At work, when someone's stats are below the requirements, they are highlighted in pink, so being "in the pink" is a bad thing, but your being in the quilt is absolutely fabulous. So many wonderful pink fabrics and so many wonderful blocks to go with them.