Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Wednesday Wandering

I spotted my first butterfly of the year - an Eastern Comma.  They always look kind of fake to me -like a die cut thrown on to the ground. 


The species tulip Tarda is blooming here and there throughout the flower garden. 

My patch of Hellebore is finally blooming. It usually blooms sometimes as early as March and the plant usually has green leaves all through the winter. When I looked at the patch in March I saw nothing but a patch of rabbit droppings. 

I made a very low "fence" out of sticks and put it around the patch. Then I tied a bunch of selvages around the stakes. Then I loosely wove together a bunch of selvages to make a sort of mesh and laid that on top of the "fence".  (I should have taken a picture because I'm not describing what I did very well).  Then I sprayed Bobbex rabbit and deer repellent over all of that. 

And now my little patch of Hellebore is back! 

More Tarda species tulips. 

The deer and rabbits usually munch on my regular tulips; however, they don't seem to bother these species tulips. 

I have several little patches of different kinds of Daffodils in bloom now too. 



I cleaned up the rhubarb patch. 

The Crocus popped up here and there throughout the garden if the deer and rabbits leave them alone.


There are pops of blue. Scilla everywhere buzzing with bees. They are cute little things but kind of invasive. 




Bloodroot. 

Aquilegia (Columbine, Granny Bonnets) are leafing out all over the garden. Here they are next to some Crocus. 


And we had our first harvest of the year - Asparagus. Hubby picked it on Monday because before the freezing temperatures on Monday night. We ate some of it last night with our meatloaf and mashed potatoes. Yum! 

 

9 comments:

Libby in TN said...

Such an unusual butterfly; I thought it was just a garden decoration! The deer don't seem to bother my hellebores, but I had to remind DH to spray repellant on the coral bells and oakleaf hydrangeas.

Julierose said...

Lovely Spring garden coming up now for you!! What pretty things in there!!
So far daffodils here and my lavender is showing signs of growth--yay
hugs, julierose

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Beautiful spot, Cathy - I love spring flowers! And yum on the asparagus!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Oh, I love the butterfly!! I could have taken a picture of my garden but it SNOWED last night and it is all covered over. Grrr. I too had bought rabbit spray and used it on my tulips on Sunday, but who knows what it will be like when it stops snowing and melts?

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I'm so happy to see your garden come to life. I think the Hellebores were late this year in lots of areas. I hope to see mine bloom earlier next year. Wow, a butterfly already. I haven't seen any yet or any migrating birds. It's only 43 degrees here at almost 11 a.m. but the weekend sounds warm.

Sumac said...

Beautiful garden! My favorite time of year.

Cathy said...

Oh, I love your asparagus! We are planting some this year, but they’re slow to develop and it’ll be at least 3 years before we can begin to harvest even a little bit. In the meantime, our drip irrigation in the beds is prepped and planting should begin within a few days! I am looking forward to another season of Wednesday Wanderings!!

kathiquilts said...

What a clever idea to rescue your Hellebore! And that butterfly -- what a treat!

MissPat said...

Well, once again, Blogger has sent 3 posts in one email notification and two days late at that. But then, I guess I should be thankful they come at all since they announced last summer they were stopping the emails. Anyway, your flowers are all lovely. The rabbits and deer generally leave my hellebores alone, but pretty much everything is fair game. The day lilies, the lilacs, the forsythia, and the coral bells have all been pruned already and the bunnies have mowed down the crocus leaves. I don't even try tulips.
Pat