Wednesday, July 31, 2024

It's A Flimsy! Purple Poindexter


It's a flimsy!
40 x 48

It's a top made of orphan blocks with mostly purples.  Since last year I've been naming orphan block quilts like they name hurricanes - with alternating male and femail names in alphabetical order. I am up to the letter P...so...Poindexter is the name and since it's mostly purple..meet Purple Poindexter. 


I don't think any of these orphan blocks were made by me.  There were several different sizes so I framed some so they finished at 12 inches.  



The theme in my sewing space in August will be KIDS. I hope to get more orphan block quilts made and quilt up most of the kiddo tops I have on hand. We shall see what happens. August is going to be a busy month so not sure how much time I'll have for sewing. 

And sew on...

****
CELEBRATE! (my word of the year)

July 29 - I won $4 on a lottery ticket. I don't buy lottery tickets but I signed up a long time ago with the Iowa Lottery to get a free ticket each month. I'll cash it in at the grocery store next time I go and put it toward groceries. 

July 30- I received another jackpot - 4 boxes of scraps and fabric from RyLynn! Oh joy! I just loved sorting through it all. Now to put it all to use!

6 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the 4 boxes of fabric sounds better the lotto ticket :)

Linda Swanekamp said...

I'd take the scraps over the lottery ticket. Getting fabric in the mail is my idea of winning. The orphans all played so well together, a unified finish!

MissPat said...

Well, I'm glad UPS finally managed to find your house and deliver RyLinn's scraps. I chuckled when I read her comment on your last post. I have no doubt you'll squeeze in some quilting no matter how busy you are this month.
Pat

RyLynn said...

Another example of your finely tuned design skills. I don't think it's easy to turn other's mismatched orphan blocks into an attractive cohesive quilt, but Poindexter is a winner! I know you will have fun with all your new 'bits and bobs'.

Nann said...

Poindexter immediately reminds me of the Barbie Game. (He was the nerdy option for Barbie's prom date.)
"
I was curious so I looked up the meaning -- Merriam Webster: "The meaning of POINDEXTER is a person with intellectual or academic interests or pretensions; especially : nerd."

Kathy said...

Hi Cathy, I love your blog and read your entries all the time. I'd love to send you some scraps as well but I don't have your address in Iowa. I live in Illinois across the Mississippi. My name is Kathy too but with a K. If you want to send that address my email is simskathyrn@gmail.com. Keep on Quilting!!
Kathy