Tuesday, July 23, 2024

Another Wonky Log Cabin Finish

It's a finish!
Wonky Log Cabin
Fields and Furrows Setting
45 x 54

I made this top earlier this year. I used brown and blue strings around an orange 2 inch square. 

Blocks were trimmed to 9.5 inches. 

I used a fields and furrows layout.

I quilted it on my DSM with swirls in gray thread.

The backing. 

The binding is the same orange batik as the extra strip I had to add to the backing. 

And sew on...

***
CELEBRATE! (my word of the year)

July 19 - My Gladiolas.  I think I have the color scheme for my next quilt - purple, yellow, red with touches of pink and light orange. 

July 20 - House Dresses. I ordered a couple earlier this year to wear when working outside in the garden. I thought I would feel a little cooler on hot days. I do. But I can't help but think that from the back when bending over now I look like those bent over old lady lawn ornaments. Good thing we don't have close neighbors! 

July 21 - I finished a book! This one was light reading and not my usual historical fiction. Sometimes a few historical fiction books based on true stories kind of get depressing. Closer Than You Think by Jean Grainger is the fourth book in the Mags Munroe series. Mags Munroe is an Irish Garda.  I'm looking forward to further exploits of Mags Munroe. 

July 22 - Oh joy! I received packages of lovely fabrics from both Julierose and Nann. I am so thankful for their generosity. I hope to turn a lot of it into comfort quilts asap! 

10 comments:

Jenny said...

That made we laugh, looking like a bent old lady ornaments! One of our neighbours has one of those by his fence, now I will think of you when I drive past. How nice if readers to keep sending you their fabric scraps, they know you will put their donation to good use.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Such a beautiful log cabin quilt. Fields and Furrows is the perfect setting for these blocks. When I saw it, I immediately thought of fresh plowed fields with bright blue skies.

Chantal said...

Your next project will be wonderful because the colours you choose are awesome together. Congrats on getting another quilt finished. Whoohoo! ;^)

Julierose said...

Another lovely wonky log cabin--I like the blue/orange color combo a lot...
nice work on the quilting too...Have fun with the fabrics...hugs, Julierose

Linda Swanekamp said...

I think no matter what I wore and bent over in the garden, I would look like the old lady ornaments. But people must love them or why would they put them in the garden so I am not worried. Better to be bent over in the garden than plopped in an easy chair streaming videos. Lovely quilt, great texture and color use.

mangozz said...

Great color combo for a boy.

RyLynn said...

This is one of the best blue/brown combos I've seen. Another winner! I'm going to look for this book you're reading - anything Irish is always intriguing.

Pamela Arbour said...

Lots to celebrate! That was funny about your dresses. Can't beat a log cabin. Your flowers are lovely. Be sure to show that picture when you start sharing your blocks. That will be cool. So glad you got a new collection of inspiration! I love everything you do.

Beth H said...

Brown and blue together are quite wonderful! An infrequently used combination, but so attractive!
I love your gladiola collection. They would make an awesome color inspiration. I am inspired!

gayle said...

Ooooo! Those glads really are a fabulous color scheme!