Thursday, July 25, 2024

Wonky Quarter Log Cabin Finish

Wonky Quarter Log Cabin
It's a finish!
50 x 60

I used some colorful and wider selvages to make the blocks. Most of the selvages came from quilt back trimmings to that is why they are wider. I normally don't like to leave that much fabric with a selvage. Most of my selvages are cut thin and I save them to use as garden ties.  

I used some spider web fabric squares for the start of the blocks. 

Blocks finished at 10.5 inches.  


I quilted it on my DSM with swirls in gray thread.

The binding is scrappy -- darker pieces from the leftover bindings box. 



The back. 

And ready for donation!

The theme in my sewing space this month has been STRINGS. I've finished up 8 string quilts and have been working on three new quilts - Feather Bed, Spider Web and Eight Point Stars.  I think that is about all of the finishes I will have this month but will continue to work on the new starts for the rest of the month. Maybe I will run out of strings. 

I differentiate between string quilts and strip quilts. 

For me...strings just happen. I don't cut into any fabrics to make string quilts. Most of the time strings are a result of quilt back trimmings or wonky end cuts of yardage. If someone sends me longer strips of fabric I first measure the width and if it is an even 1.5, 2, or 2.5 inches in width then I usually have one or two projects in process that can use that strip. If it is wonky or not exactly one of those widths then it goes into my string box.   

On the other hand...for me... strip quilts usually involve some cutting of yardage or even width strips I receive from other folks who send fabric and scraps my way. 

Next month the theme in my sewing space will be KIDS.   I hope to work on finishing kiddo sized quilt tops I have in the TBQ (to be quilted) stack and dig into the orphan blocks and make a few tops. 

And sew on...

****
CELEBRATE! (my word of the year)

July 24 - I wasn't really up to celebrating much of anything. My sewing space used to be a back porch and has a flat roof with a very slight slant .  I noticed a small leak in my ceiling the last time it rained. After that son helped me get up there and put a tarp over where we thought the leak was. Well, it rained yesterday and rain still leaked in. I took a good look out the window at the roof when it was raining and I think it might be collecting nearer to where the water flows into the gutter so we need to move the tarp. We have known we need a new roof and gutters for awhile because roof is about 30 years old (we replaced it a few years after we moved here) but with hubby in and out of the hospital, too weak to do much and  still with many doc appointments pending for osteoradionecrosis in the jaw and dysphagia I have not gotten around to getting any quotes. And I don't want to have someone working on the roof when we aren't around.    So, anyway, I went to bed without celebrating a thing.  And then...hubby yelled for me. and woke me up. His feeding tube was about ready to fall out.   I do have a spare one here but first tried pushing that one back in and then measured the volume in the balloon that kind of holds it in place in the stoma and it was low so I added some distilled water to it with syringe and he was able to hook back up to the feed pump ok.  Today I will have to measure volume of that balloon again to make sure it doesn't have a slow leak.   So, I was proud of myself for staying calm in the midst of crisis and taking care of business - definitely cause to celebrate. I'm surprised I can do some of the things I do.  Last time his feeding tube fell out it was Christmas Day and we ended up in the ER. They did not have the right Gtube to insert so they put in temp foley cath. We ended up at the surgeon's office the next day and he put in a new one. I asked him what to do next time it fell out and he said "watch me put this in" and get a spare one for home. I didn't want to but I watched....just in case...





 

17 comments:

Juliana said...

That's a great quilt, but I'm writing to tell you how brave and resourceful you are! That's totally something to celebrate!

marilyn said...

I had the same thought. You are a brave woman. And I love your quilts.

Nann said...

Good for you to handle things before they became crises. The spiderweb fabric provides a great visual landing for these wild blocks.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I think that is a definite celebrate moment. Go you - and good for you for watching the last time, I remember that story - it was not good, So being calm - you beat it!!!
your quilt is amazing - and I like how you differentiate strips vs Strings - Makes sense to me!

Anonymous said...

I've seen some great quilts lately and yours are among them. I just want to make them all. It would help if I better organized. Wanted to let you know that you are an inspiration to me. As for new roof. My neighbor just got a new roof installed. He told me that he got three estimates. Two were close and the third one was one third the price. And for dealing with a crises, you were great. Sometimes you just have to take a deep breath, and proceed.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I am really impressed that you were able to manage the tube situation! It makes sense to have an extra one for sure; even if you had to go to the ER taking a suitable one along for them to work with would save having some work around substitute put in!

Ceci

Laura said...

You are stronger than you know! 💕

Jenny said...

Brave, calm, resourceful, clever, loyal and loving, you are all those things and more, so celebrate!

MissPat said...

Every morning when I wake up and I'm still alive, is reason to celebrate, Things can change in the blink of an eye. You're a strong woman and you will carry on. I'm amazed at how much you get done as you continue your care-taking tasks. Great quilt, BTW.
Pat

RyLynn said...

Sometimes life's trials are so overwhelming we are not sure we can keep going, but please believe that asking for help has no shame. There are folks near you who can help with roofs and care-giving for loved ones needing attention. I hope you will let your children and community show their compassion by asking for some assistance. My thoughts are with you and hope you will take some well deserved breaks.

Beth said...

I second RyLynn’s suggestion - you are so busy and so dedicated in taking care of others don’t forget to recharge your own batteries. Your husband is very blessed to have you watching over him. You are truly amazing! Beth in AL ( Beautiful & bountiful quilts!)

mangozz said...

You ought to feel really good about being able to fix the feeding tube. Not everyone will be able to stay calm in a crisis. I know I would probably be a little stressed myself. Your husband is so lucky to have you there and willing to help him. By the way the quilt is really nice too! I know that's a lot of sewing for those little strings. And the seams on the back - pressing them - that would not be fun at all.

Patricia said...

celebrate is the right word. celebrate your calm in a crisis. amazing. your quilt is great. i celebrate your productivity and gifts to others.

shoshu said...

its all wonderful but the real cause for celebration is your courage and how your comittment to your marriage is with such love and faithfulness. stay strong and continue to "keep keeping on"

Pamela Arbour said...

What a celebration! I thank God for taking care of you and your husband. I can't explain why we get the personal trials that we get, but I do know that He is always there to get us through it. I am also looking for Him to help with that roof!
I sure appreciate all of the details and pics you give with your posts. I look forward to every one of them.
I noticed that a few of the replies have anonymous on them. My last post went in as anonymous so I looked at this post carefully and it clearly has my name but I will have to see what it does when I hit publish.

Nancy O. said...

This has become a watchword of mine: It’s a good thing to know about yourself that you can do hard things. I’ve had several recent occasions to call it to mind, and what you described above is another such example. 👍🏻 And kudos to you for surmounting a scary situation with grace under pressure!

Mystic Quilter said...

You deserve a medal for your triumph with the courage to take care of this medical emergency, thank goodness you watched the procedure first off in the surgeon's office. Hope the appointments for your husband come through soon.