Friday, July 5, 2024

Sawtooth Stars Top

It's a top!
Sawtooth Stars
40 x 60

Blue was the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) color of the month for June and I noticed I had a few small chunks of blue novelty fabrics. So I decided to make a few Sawtooth Stars. 

I decided on a child sized donation quilt using novelties in the Stars. I also decided to use primary colors - red, blue, yellow. 

I made 10 inch finished Sawtooth Stars because I've found 10 inch blocks are a good size to use in donation quilts. 

And sew on...



****
CELEBRATE! (my word of the year)

July 3 - Peaches so sweet and dribble-down-the-chin juicy.  

July 4 - My baby boy's 40th birthday!  Oh, yes, he's definitely a firecracker!   I remember the day of his birth. I had been to the doctor on July 3 and he said it would probably be a couple more weeks before baby would be born. So after the appointment I went back to work. My due date was July 18 - same day my daughter was born - but for some reason I kept thinking all along in the back of my mind that baby would be born on July 4. My hubby worked third shift back then and when he got home on the morning of July 4 I told him I was having some labor pains so he needed to get a little rest and I would wake him when I needed to get to the hospital that was just a few blocks away. I woke him up about 2 pm and off to the hospital we went. I barely made it to a bed before the baby was born with hubby and a nurse in attendance since the doctor didn't make it to the hospital until after baby made his appearance. Surprise! It's a boy! 8 lbs. 4 oz. and 20.5 inches long. In those days we did not have cell phones so we used the hospital room phone and tried calling everyone we knew to announce the news; however, we couldn't find anyone because all were out and about celebrating July 4th. I can't believe my baby is 40 years old. I also can't believe my oldest is 50!   I am confused...I thought I was 40...😏



 

11 comments:

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Wonderfully cheerful sawtooth stars quilt. Perfect for a child. Great job.

Vicki in MN said...

I know the feeling, our oldest is 40, how did that happen!!! Your stars is the perfect one to show for the 4th as it looks like a picnic to me:)

Elle said...

Such a bummer that the kiddos are now older than the Mommy. :-)

Great flimsy!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's such a pretty quilt top, Cathy - someone's going to love it! My baby will be 40 this month, too. How did that happen?!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I know the feeling, my youngest will turn 60 this year and in my mind I'm still 60.

Laura said...

Loved hearing your baby boy story! What a wonderful 4th that was! :)

Anonymous said...

What a great birth story to go with the star quilt! We have the same family issues, the kids are getting to be older than we are, it's a conundrum!

Ceci

Jenny said...

What a great day for your son to have a birthday. My little boy will be turning 60 next month, like you, I wonder how that us happening.

Pamela Arbour said...

Those were good color choices with the quilt. It will be loved. It's so funny how different things are today with telephones, etc. I am glad you made it in time. That's a wonderful celebration! I don't know how my kids wound up being older than me! LOL

Anonymous said...

Wow—what a punch of color in this quilt top!! Someone very lucky is going to love it and get a jolt of delight every time they look at it!👍🏻💓🦋 Nancy O.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Wonderful sawtooth stars in this top! Sawtooth stars are a favorite pattern of mine. I hear you about time passing. . .how can those kids be 40???? What a great story about your son's birth!