Saturday, July 27, 2024

Piecing Potpourri

I do a lot of piecing but sometimes don't get around to ironing things for quite awhile. I keep a box at the end of my ironing board and throw things into it that need to be ironed or trimmed. Usually it is  leaders/enders or Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) blocks or other block pieces I've kitted up to sew when I just want to do a whole lot of chain piecing at one time on a whole lot of different things. I don't really like to iron. Well, the box was getting full so I was forced into it. So...here's what I ironed...

9 inch Snowball blocks made with 9 Snowballs. Blocks with light and dark corners will alternate in the quilt.  These are a RSC project.  I made a quilt like it a long time ago and after my daughter saw it she asked if she could have it. Oh, yes, indeed!

3 inch Bow Tie blocks
I've been making these from scraps for a long, long time. My goal is 900 blocks and I think now I ony need about 40 more so will probably make my goal in July. 



10 inch Cheerio blocks

This is another RSC project. I started it a couple of months ago. I've made blocks from scraps in the color of the month plus I went through my 4.5 inch squares and pulled out any sets of 4 identical squares to make blocks. I cut block parts and sew pieces together when I'm on a piecing binge.

4 Patch HSTs
made from 3 inch width scraps left over from making last month's Sawtooth Star top. I use an Easy Angle Companion ruler to cut the Flying Geese bodies and I use the Easy Angle ruler to cut HSTs from the two ends so they don't go to waste.   I have a bunch of other 3 inch scraps that I will use to make more blocks for a child's quilt. The blocks finish at 5 inches. Maybe I will alternate them wth squares. Who knows?


Four Patches
made with 2 inch scraps.
My theme is "black, white, and one other color" in each four patch.

Four Inch Broken Dishes
Made with HST parts that resulted from making Flying Geese. See explanation above of rulers I use when making Flying Geese. I think the Geese that went with these fabrics were made into Twilight Flight blocks a few months ago. 

HST parts were the result of making QSTs last month for my Bramble Blooms II medallion center piece. Not sure what these will be used for. Just sewing up scraps.

More HSTs that came to me in a bag of scraps.  I haven't sewn them all yet. Not sure what they will be used for. 
And finally...some strip sets for a Coins quilt made with 2 inch scraps. I think I should see how many strips I have now in my little box of Coins. 

And sew on...

***
CELEBRATE! (my word of the year)

July 25 -- Finished a book!  - Levi's Eyes by Aphrodite Jones.  It is a true crime story. Karl Karlsen murdered his wife and 17 years later murdered his son for insurance money. It took more than 20 years to bring him to justice for both crimes.  I don't understand how a person could be so evil. It gives me nightmares. 

July 26 - I love grapefruit juice and drink a glass almost every day. 



 

10 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

Wow you have a lot of in progress projects, lots of scrappy fun! I see you are in IA, what part?

Julierose said...

Great blocks--I especially like the Snowball ones--I've enjoyed making these too...hugs, Julierose

Chantal said...

I saw 9 Snowballs measuring 9 inches and I thought "What?! The Snowballs are only an inch each!! WhoaaaH! Then, coffee kicked in and I understood my mistake. Well, they are still awesome! I don't have that many rulers. Maybe I should invest in more. Maybe that's the reason behind me being such a slow stitcher. Lol.
Thanks for taking the time to photograph your bazillion blocks as I LOVE to look at other people's fabrics and lovely prints. Enjoy! ;^)

Nann said...

900 bow ties? Guess you'll be fit to be tied........Your parts department is on its way to being fully stocked.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Ooooh - those HSTs made with the leftovers from Bramble Blooms are super! I know that isn't your favorite color combo but I LOVE IT! p.s. Your productivity never ceases to amaze me ... so many gorgeous scrappy blocks!

cityquilter grace said...

i'd say you get the gold medal for sewing up scraps! lotsa lovely scrappy projects...no silver or bronze definitely gold! lol

Jenny said...

Just look at all those blocks!

Linda Swanekamp said...

When I was pregnant with my son 42 years ago, I was so sick that all I craved was grapefruit juice. I drank large can after large can. However, I don't think I ever drank it since, maybe I should try it. All the blocks you are making are terrific and adding up.

Pamela Arbour said...

All that ironing and seeing all of those blocks is a celebration in itself. Every time I read one of your posts I glean something about your process. You really do operate like a well-oiled machine! You have got your sewing rhythm! I do hope you keep that bowtie quilt for yourself. It is fabulous. All of your quilts are fabulous. I like grapefruit, but I'm not sure I like it enough to drink a glass a day! LOL

mangozz said...

Those four patches with black white and another color are going to make a very interesting quilt. I don't know how you come up with all of your ideas. That book you read about the murderer really creeps me out. I can't imagine looking at another person especially a close relative and just seeing dollar signs!