Wednesday, May 31, 2023

A Wednesday Wander Through My Flower Garden

I went out early this morning for a walk through my cottage garden. We have had really dry conditions so it seems that the blooms aren't as big as usual and aren't lasting as long as usual. A water conservation alert has already been issued for parts of Iowa but it has not been issued here yet. I have a private well and I've been mostly watering the veg garden and newly planted and sprouted seeds - well,I should say I'm watering the ones the critters don't devour. 

I was watching the RHS Chelsea Flower Show and saw that "weeds" are in vogue as the country moves toward more sustainable gardening and biodiversity. I guess my cottage garden is pretty trendy! One of these days I might have to take photos of all the different types of "weeds" I have. 























 

10 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

lovely flowers - need water! it is dry here too and we had such a very wet winter and spring! I am watering the garden two times a week now and it is too early for that I usually don't need to water much until July.

Nann said...

Thanks for the stroll!

MissPat said...

Thanks for the weekly flower garden stroll. I have many of the same plants in bloom right now, although the iris are sparse (need dividing) and the peonies are succumbing to bacterial root rot from some nematode. Very dry here, no rain since May 20 and temps in the upper 80's. It's way too hot and dry too soon.
Pat

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

I love to stroll with you through your garden! Thanks for including me!!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

So many beautiful flowers! I think a large part of the US is lacking rain. My Peonies don't seem to be lasting as long and I think the lack of moisture is to blame.

Linda said...

Gorgeous flowers, such vibrant colours. And you have my favourite flower, the foxglove!

Quiltdivajulie said...

It is dry here, too. Your flowers are beautiful, even if the lack of water has caused them to be smaller. The colors are just gorgeous.

Julierose said...

WOW those irises at the top are REALLY blue--sooo pretty!! And you have a lot of lovely peonies too...I only have one that gave me a single bloom this year--I don't think it's happy with its location...sigh they are finicky!!
Thanks for the looksee into your garden--always loving that...hugs, Julierose

Julie in GA said...

Thanks for showing us through your beautiful garden! I love the peonies, they remind me of the ones in our backyard when I was a kid.

Elle said...

Glorious tour through your gardens. I've been traveling and spending time with friends for 19 days. I sure hope I didn't miss my Peonies-yours are fabulous.