Wednesday, May 24, 2023

I Spy A Finish!

I Spy
42 x 60

It's a finish!

A long time ago when the grandkids were younger (youngest is 14 now) I belonged to an online "I Spy" swap group.  There were mostly  monthly swaps of squares in a specified size that followed a theme. It was fun because you could buy yardage of just a couple themed fabrics to cut into squares to swap but get lots of different squares of themed fabrics back in return. 

Every once in awhile there would be a Happy Block swap. They were made with 4 inch centers and TOT (tone on tone) or solid borders 1-3/4 wide for a six inch finished block. 

Last year I got out a few blocks I had left over and gathered together a few centers and borders of my own in order to make enough blocks for a top. 

I quilted it on my DSM (Brother PQ1500) with ribbons/streamers. 

It's bound with a rainbow. 

And sew on...

 

9 comments:

Karen said...

A very cheerful quilt! I do like the ratio of the centre to the frames of the blocks.

Julierose said...

Such a lovely finish with that ribbon quilting, cathy;)) I love the T-O-T surrounds for the I Spy centers--really neat good work hugs, Julierose

Linda said...

Great I Spy quilt - so much for the child to look at and talk about. The solid or tot frames really let the centre sing. Some great centres - the box of chocolates made my mouth water. Lovely choice for the border, very appropriate. And sew on. I wonder how many finishes you will manage before the end of the month?

Nann said...

A rainbow cascade -- just right for the streamers in the quilting. (I recognize the backing....just sayin'.)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

nice and colorful for sure! someone is going to love that.

MissPat said...

I participated in a 4" I Spy square exchange about 5 years ago and was very disappointed in the squares I received. Mine were bright, cheerful, and colorful and the ones I got were dull, dreary and boring. They're still in the 4" square drawer. I've decided I'm not a happy swapper, so I just do my own thing. Your quilt is much more to my taste.
Pat

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

So pretty with the rainbow colors. Every time I see an I Spy quilt it reminds me I haven't made one for my great-grandchildren yet. I have all of the I Spy fabrics cut into 2 sizes of squares. I made a large throw size one and traded it to my dentist for dental work back in the late 1990s. She hung it on the wall in the waiting room and it kept the kids occupied so they didn't get anxious about their visit there.

Janice said...

Cathy, do you know if there any such "I Spy" swap groups still around? I have been wanting to do that very thing but didn't know how to find one.

Janice Holton said...

I don't know if that last comment went through or not. I think I was signed into the wrong account. Anyway, I am hoping to find an "I Spy" swap group if they exist. Maybe not a monthly one, but one that does it every once in a while. Do they still exist?