Monday, May 22, 2023

Highs and Lows

Late last year I started making two temperature quilts.  One is for 1952 - the year I was born and the other is for last year. I thought it would be fun to compare the two quilts. 

This month I didn't have a theme in my sewing room so I felt like adding on a few months to my temperature quilt and ended up adding April, May and June. 



1952 is on the left. 

These are the last six days of June. My rows consist of 18 HSTs so I need to add some of July to these rows before I add them to the quilt.  June 1952 is on top and June 2022 is on the bottom. I  have assigned a color to each 10 degree range of temperature and am using the same fabrics in both quilts. I am not using any one fabric for each of the colors. The fabrics change every month.   My archived data of highs and lows comes from weather.gov and I'm using the same weather station for the data since I'm now living close to where I was born. 

The low and high for June 25, 1952 was 74 (red) and 95 (orange).
The low and high for June 25, 2022 was 67 (pink) and 84 (yellow).
In each HST the low is the bottom half and the high is the top half. 
June 25 is the first HST on the left. 

So at a glace I can see that the last six days of June 2022 were cooler than the last six days of 1952. 

4 comments:

Nann said...

Fun comparison, Cathy. I am two days older than you!

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

They both look fantastic and what a great idea to be able to compare at a glance.

Cindy B said...

Love your temp quilt!!!! I had good intentions this year but stuff got in the way....never too late to start I guess!!!! Enjoy your posts!!!!!

Beth H said...

This is so interesting to compare the two years! Keep us informed as the months go by. Thanks !