Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Wednesday Wandering

What's happening in the gardens this week?

The Tree Peonies are in bloom. I have four of the woody shrubs - two light pink, a darker pink and a red. 

There are three types of peonies - herbaceous, tree and intersectional. Most folks are familiar with herbaceous peonies that die back every year to the ground. I have some of those too but they are not in bloom yet although I see lot sof buds. 


Tree peonies bloom on old wood so some years I don't get many blooms because sometimes I don't have old wood due to deer snacking. 

I've had one light pink Tree Peony longer than the others and now it appears it is in too much shade even if there is old wood for blooms. Or maybe it is too old and worn out even though it looks healthy. Over the years scrub trees have sprouted up, grown up and fallen down in the border between my cottage garden and our field next door. 













The Aquilegia are in bloom. I have started them all from seed over the years. It has been fun to watch my babies grow up and bloom every year. It is truly miraculous to see what's inside a tiny seed. 

Aquilegia is also known as Columbine or Granny's Bonnets. 

I've planted most of mine in shady areas. 

Aquilegia is a genus of about 60-70 species in the buttercup family, Ranunculacea.  (I also have the wild and weedy Iowa native  Little Leaf Buttercup in bloom and invading all over. I've never planted any of it. It just appears. )







And then there's some Trillium in bloom. It's difficult to get a good picture of it since it is in shade and near a  rose bush.  I know it is there but if anyone else walked through the garden it would probably not be noticed. (Hubby never sees it.)   That makes me think I should map out my flower garden. I was always going to try to do that in cloth in a quilt. I always think "one of these days"....and then another day passes by. 

As the Virginia Bluebells die down the Spanish Bluebells start to bloom. 

And one of the few remaining Clematis is in bloom.  It's on an old walk through trellis that has almost fallen apart because the Trumpet Vine has grown so big and heavy over the years.  The Clematis and Dutchman's Pipe also weave through the Trumpet Vine.  There's a big giant clump of poison ivy near the base of the Clematis that I have been trying  unsuccessfully to get rid of for years. Needless to say I pretty much neglect the poor Clematis yet it manages to survive and flourish.  I guess somewhere in there is a lesson. 


Dame's Rocket.  I never know where it will pop up in the garden. It's a self seeder in the mustard family. Makes sense because garlic mustard is highly invasive and I see some of that in bloom here and there and try to pull it before it quickly takes over an area. 


This type of Allium is going to seed but I have another type just getting ready to bloom. 

Last week Michelle (no email addy with comment so replying here)  asked how long I have lived in my home.  I think we have lived here about 34 years and I think I started my cottage garden 30 years ago with a couple of daylilies. I cleared an area of pasture behind our old barn myself  (one shovel full at a time over a number of years) and started a lot of the perennials from seed. I start annuals to add every year too.  I do all the weeding and maintenance myself.  A small veg patch was here when we moved here but I have enlarged it over the years to add a permanent rhubarb, asparagus and strawberry patch and near it added an herb garden. Three years ago I cleared a bramble patch (well, the granddaughters helped me just a little bit)  and have slowly been starting native wildflower seeds to add to that area.  That same year an area was cleared for a cutting garden. It has been my dream to have vases full of my own flowers all over the house in summer as well as have lots for bouquets to give away. 











 

7 comments:

Carissa said...

Thank you for sharing your garden pictures. I always enjoy your quilting projects as well, but I especially love getting to peek into other gardens!

Sally Langston Warren said...

Your flowers are just beautiful! I really enjoy your comments and especially that you know the names of your plants/flowers.
“I always think ‘one of these days’…..and then another days passes.” Isn’t that the truth?! I am trying to do better about that!! As we get older, we become more aware of what a gift each day is.

Linda at Roscoe's Ma said...

Love your flowers! Just amazing!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Oh, those peonies - so many memories of them growing in my mother's back yard. And the clematis are stunning. All your work truly pays off wit the beautiful blooms!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I always love to see what you have blooming. Tree peonies look like they are a small tree or bush but I hear their blooms are huge. I envy all of your different color Columbines. I don't have any more space to plant any so I'll be happy with the 4 colors I have.
A cutting garden would be a dream to have. Not enough hours in the day to do it all.

Linda said...

What beautiful flowers, the odours are gorgeous. Peonies are my favourites but I didn’t know there were tree peonies. So interesting to hear how you developed your garden over the years. We started ours from scratch 41 years ago as be bought a brand new house. Over the last few years we have reduced borders and intruded a couple of raised beds and increased the law so there is less work as we get older.
I marvel at your energy, Cathy.

MissPat said...

The photos of the tree peonies reminded me that it's time for the tree peony festival at a historic house near me. They are only open for 3 weekends a year. My one and only tree peony succumbed to disease (a borer I think) that caused the plant to wilt. I should get a fresh supply of Columbine in some of those dark double flowers. I have many that have self-seeded, but the deer and rabbits like to nibble on them. So much pretty purple in your garden right now.
Pat