Sunday, May 28, 2023

What Was In The Box?

At the beginning of May I decided to process an overflowing box of scraps. 

You know that I'm trying to use scraps as they are made; however, I did not do that in the past years so I have several boxes and bags of unprocessed scraps. Some scraps are sent to me and don't get all sorted right away, some I get out of a scrapbag (sorted by color) and then don't all get used and don't get put back, some are made by me and pile up on my cutting mat (18 x 24) so when the cutting mat gets full and I can no longer cut anything I sweep the scraps off into a box. 

My box is now empty. 
(No, it didn't all go in the trash! Hardly anything but tiny bits went into the trash. And those tiny bits  along with the broken down box will go on some of my flower garden paths to keep weeds down)

So what was in the box? 



Nine 10 inch Monkey Wrench blocks. 


Fifteen 7.5 inch Monkey Wrench blocks.

Thirteen 5 inch Monkey Wrench blocks

Five 8 inch black/solid HST Four Patch

Five 5 inch Four Patches (complementary colors) and nine 4 inch Windmills

Nine 3 x 5 Switch Plates

Seventeen 4 inch red, white, blue Four Patches

Forty-three 3 inch Bowties 

Chunks to be put in the appropriate scrap bag by color

Strips of certain widths to go into several different project workboxes

Orphan blocks or units (like tumbler pieces) to go into the orphanage

Eight 6.5 inch squares, fourteen 6 inch squares, eleven 5.5 inch squares 

Thirty-two 5 inch squares, sixty-one 4.5 inch squares, sixty-six 4 inch squares,fifty-nine 3.5 inch squares, sixty-eight 3 inch squares 

Then I quit counting but...
2.5 inch squares x 4
2.5 inch squares x 2
floral 2.5 inch squares 
2.5 inch squares
2.5 x 3.5 inch rectangles

2 inch squares x 2
2 inch squares x 4
2 inch squares
1.5 inch squares x2
1.5 inch squares x 4
1.5 inch squares
1.5 x 2.5 rectangles


Long strings, short strings, HST parts

Crumbs

Now I've added to my block collections and project boxes and am ready to move on to the next bag or box. It's fun to keep track of the magical things found inside a box of scraps  treasures.


And sew on...




 

12 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sometimes when you unpack a box of fabric you wonder how it all got stuffed in to begin with as you can never get it all back in!!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

They look beautiful as quilt blocks!!!

Chantal said...

That was quite a treasure box. Wow! I can only imagine the number of hours spent reaching the bottom of this box. Bravo for one empty box. I never thought of putting the little sliver of fabric in my garden. When I have a handful or two, I use them as starters in the fireplace. ;^)

Julierose said...

WOW--amazing makes all from that scrappy boxful!! Your work boxes deliver such lovely blocks;))
Hugs Julierose

Nann said...

A Pandora's Box! It will be fun to see how you use all of these wonderful components in a quilt. Or a dozen quilts.

Linda said...

Can’t believe how much came out of that magical box. So many quilts to come!

Linda Swanekamp said...

You are definitely the queen of the scrap box. You turn pieces into treasures. Long live the queen.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Wow! There was a lot in that box! How great to have more "parts" ready for projects!

The Joyful Quilter said...

That box held SEW many scrappy treasures, Cathy!! Kudos for processing the leftovers. You did a great job working through those scraps!

Bonnie said...

You did a fabulous job clearing out that scrap box. How long did it take you? I've been using my AccuQuilt cutter to do some scrap management but now I have little boxes of cut pieces and can't decide where to put all of them. It's a never ending business. But you did a great job on yours.

mangozz said...

I wish that I could be as self disciplined as you are. I've gotten so lazy in my old age.

Rebecca Grace said...

Look at all those treasures! Other people's scrap bins are always so exciting than my own. ;-)