Friday, May 12, 2023

Economizing


Economy Block Top #1
Economy Blocks and Squares
42 x 54

In January 2021 I started making 3 inch finished Economy Blocks (aka Little Chips) from 2.5 inch scraps in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) color of the month with b/w corners.  I think this was the last project that came out of a now emptied 2.5 inch scrap bin. 

Earlier this year I finally counted up the blocks and had well over 300 of them but they looked rather dreary all together in one quilt so I divided them up to be made into three different comfort quilts. 

This top alternates Economy Blocks with squares I pulled out of the 3.5 inch scrap squares bin. I tried to keep both the Econo Blocks and Squares to geometric shapes, plaids, dots, stripes and solids. 

I just randomly sewed Econos and Squares together. 

Economy Blocks for the other two quilt tops are being made into larger blocks as a RSC project. This month the RSC color is orange so I made a  few Stars with orange backgrounds that finish at 6 inches. 

So far I have Stars with pink, purple, orange and green backgrounds.  I forget how many Econo Blocks I counted out for this quilt.

The third quilt will use Econo Blocks as the centers of 6 inch Happy Blocks (3.5 inch economy block centers and 2 inch borders). Here are this month's with orange borders. 

For this one I tried to use mostly Econo Blocks that would be fun for an I Spy game. 

And sew on...



RSC ScrapHappy Saturday

 

15 comments:

Julierose said...

Such creative uses of your darling economy blocks! :))) Love the stars a lot--nice work Hugs, Julierose

Linda said...

Love all the different ideas you have combined with the Economy blocks. Those stars are great. Coincidentally I’ve been using a lot of Economy blocks too.

Jenny said...

You always amaze m with your many, many blocks, and the creative ways you assemble them. Using the little blocks in the centre of stars is a great idea.

Nann said...

It's very helpful (inspiring) to see different ways to use the units.

mangozz said...

I really love the star blocks especially the second photo - those are my colors. Have you decided how you will set them yet?

Ann said...

I never thought of alternating them with squares. Love the stars, too! Thanks for sharing these great ideas to use scraps and make something unexpected.

Linda Swanekamp said...

The star blocks with economy centers are wonderful. So many great uses for those blocks once sewn.

Sara said...

The Economy blocks make a great center for stars and happy blocks. I love all of those blocks!!

Deb said...

Oh no, I must quit reading Saturday blog entries, I have 3 more blocks on the list so far!! Great use of the economy block!! Thank you for sharing and happy stitching!

Helenchaffin said...

Awesome use of all those scraps,they all are beautifully done

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I like how you're using your economy blocks in different ways! A finished quilt top, and everal others on the horizon. The star blocks are really neat!

audrey said...

Love the Economy block top! It actually looks better to me with the layout blocks and plain fabric units than if it was all economy blocks! Great idea and the colorway you ended up with makes it shine.:)

grammajudyb said...

Fun to see all your little chips making an appearance. I like how you alternated with plain block! And then there are those stars! Very striking!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What creative and colorful ways to use those blocks!!! They are all so cool!

gayle said...

Those Econo Stars are stealing my heart! (/madly scribbling notes to self)