Sunday, November 17, 2019

Its a Finish! Bitcoins



 Bitcoins
84 x 84
It's a finish! 

I tried to take some pictures yesterday but it was partly cloudy, it was cold and it was windy so this is as good as it gets. 

 Except for chunks, strings, selvages and crumbs my scraps are sorted by size. This quilt was made from 1.5 inch scraps. From my blog history it appears I started combining a 1.5 x 2.5 inch colored scrap with a low volume scrap of the same color and just made 2.5 inch unfinished squares for the Parts Department around May 2017 as a Rainbow Scrap Challenge project.  I figured I could use them for a border, to make Four Patches or Whirlagigs someday when I had enough of them. 
 Around July 2017 I played around with the little squares and somehow ended up sewing them together by color into blocks of three columns and seven rows probably because I had at least 21 little squares of several different colors.   I called them 21 Patches even though there were 42 pieces. 

By November 2017 I was calling them Whatchamacallits because I was not sure what to call them but those blocks needed a name. 
 Sally of Objects of Design started making some blocks and by September 2018 she had a whole quilt top of them. She called hers Bitcoins and I thought that name was clever and more descriptive so my 21 Patch turned Whatchamacallits turned into Bitcoins. 

 In June of this year Bitcoins became a flimsy (or top if you prefer) that consists of 3528 little pieces of fabric if I calculated correctly. It was a charm quilt until it wasn't. I intended to use all different colored scraps and each time the Rainbow Scrap Challenge came around I only cut one piece off of each scrap that was in there; however, since it took me several years worth of scraps to get all the blocks I need a scrap may have been in the 1.5 inch scrap bin from year to year so there are repeats. 
 And then I finally put it in the hoop and started big stitching with ecru perle #12 that I had on hand. I didn't mark anything. I just big stitched about 1/4 inch either side of the lengthwise seams. 

The quilt fits perfectly on my bed and since it is square it can be oriented any way on the bed. 
I used wide muslin for the backing and muslin scraps for the binding. 
When I hand quilt I usually use Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 batting. 

for



43 comments:

Karen said...

The quilt is glorious! Don't finishes feel good!

Frog Quilter said...

Beautiful and glorious quilt. I love color and you have captured that effect.

Teresa said...

Love your quilt - all those fun colors!

grammajudyb said...

It’s a favorite! When you were building it, I didn’t realize you were going to hand quilt it! It’s fabulous!

Gretchen Weaver said...

I love it, so colorful and happy!! Good job!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love it and great way to use scraps!!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Wow 3528 charms! That is a lot of sewing. It is beautiful. Love the cohesive flow of colors. Congratulations on a grand finish!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I love this ... there just might be a Bitcoins project in my future. Love your hand quilting.

Julierose said...

Just a lovely finish on this one!! hugs, Julierose ;)))

Chantal said...

Fantastic finish. Congratulations. Great way to use up those little bits of fabric. Love it. ;^)

Jayne said...

I'm blown away with your persistence! So many tiny blocks that came together to make a gorgeous quilt. You have to be relieved and happy with this finish!!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

It's scraptastic! Wow, what a great quilt! Congratulations!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Wowsey! Great scrappy finish!!!!

Rebecca said...

Love your referance to the "parts department"
Makes me smile just thinking about it.

And your bitcoin quilt is lovely and so much more real then the "currency".

The Joyful Quilter said...

Super scrappy, super cute!! Congrats on another wonderful RSC finish, Cathy.

Quilter Kathy said...

I LOVE this blog post!
It documents the making of a quilt over years, a few scraps at a time, and that is my favourite way to make a quilt!
I love that it has a sister quilt over at Sally's blog and that you inspired each other's quilting journeys!
I love it's scrap happiness, and the amazing colour work you did , and of course I love that it is hand quilted!
It is one of my favourite quilts of all time!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Congratulations on the finish, so many tiny pieces...!

Quilting Babcia said...

My jaw dropped a bit when I read that you hand quilted this beauty - all those tiny pieces! I love square quilts for the same reason you do, they can be rotated on the bed!

Laura said...

Absolutely love! :)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

This is such a great quilt, Kathy! Congratulations on finishing it. Tiny, colorful scraps make the best quilts!

Linda said...

Your Bitcoin quilt is fabulous. Congratulations on yet another finish. Who would have thought those tiny scraps could (with your imagination and doggedness) have been turned into such a lovely quilt?

Nann said...

Ooooh. What a perfect scrap-user and scrap-displayer!

Sue SA said...

Such a lovely scrap quilt!

cityquilter grace said...

absolutely love this....scrappy start to finish!

PaulaB quilts said...

You did an amazing job. Every little piece is carefully lined up. I’m very impressed.

beth s said...

So beautiful!

CathieJ said...

Your quilt is so beautiful. I am contemplating a quilt with 1 inch strips and dreading it. I am amazed at the size of those pieces.

mangozz said...

Love the way this quilt came out. Glad you're keeping it for yourself.

Jennifer said...

HOLY COW WHAT A GREAT QUILT!! Congrats on the finish. and glad it's living on your bed...

Marei said...

I've been watching this since its inception,and it's great to see Bitcoins as a completed quilt!! Congratulations! You inspired me to start my own Bitcoin this year, but sadly, its languishing somewhere in the quilt cave. I think it's time to dig it out and start working on it again!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I have been waiting to see this finished quilt. I love it! It is such a great way to use those small scraps.

Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Pamela Arbour said...

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your comments and journey through this quilt. I am glad you are using it on your bed! It has to be very comfy. Love it.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

What a great finish! Modern and old fashioned at the same time, and made so special with hand quilting. Congratulations!

Denise :) said...

STUNNING finish! Nicely done!!! :)

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Great use of tons of scraps and colors. I like that you used rectangles instead of squares for the pieces and even the blocks.

Louise said...

I suspect this is the most valuable bitcoin investment I've ever witnessed. Tangible, useful, beautiful! :)

Carol E. said...

Omigosh! That is amazing and gorgeous!

Ann said...

I love the three columns. I made mine 2x4 finished with two columns but this is so much better. And the name is perfect! Congratulations o a wonderful finish for you. We don't make enough for ourselves, do we?

Mystic Quilter said...

Fantastic quilt!! It seems to shimmer, especially the photo with sun hitting the bottom half.

Susie H said...

FABULOUS!!!! ('Nuff said)

Katie Z. said...

It’s wonderful! Well done.

Marie said...

Gorgeous, regardless of what you call it!

SarahZ said...

This has got to be the most satisfying finish!! I cannot imagine all those pieces and all the joy in them!!! I think bitcoin is a very good name, too! Congrats on a super finish!