Thursday, November 14, 2019

Its a Finish! Gallimaufry



 Gallimaufry
56 x 80
It's a finish!
 This was inspired by a c. 1890 quilt top found at Rocky Mountain Quilts described as follows:
"This is a whimsical original rendition of an Irish Chain, which to follow the pattern needs to be viewed from a distance. How amazing would this be in a great room over a fireplace? this quilt was obviously pieced by someone who loved calicoes. No solid colors here. The fabrics date from 1860 to 1890, giving us the creation date of this piece. This is a quilt top for a fabric junkie. There are many patterns pieced on this top. Variation of diamond in a square, old maids puzzle, bow tie, broken dishes, four patch, all combined together creating the most unusual Irish Chain I have ever seen. All pieced by hand, and ready to quilt."
 I made four inch finished blocks from scraps.  In order for the chain to show when finished I used muslin and some white scraps for one half of the HSTs. 
 I just love all the secondary patterns that show up. 


 In a quilt like this with lots of small pieces I think all scraps play nicely together...Halloween, Patriotic, florals, geometrics, 30s, men's shirts...
 ...and its always fun to see what shows up in itty bitty pieces of fabric. 
 I also used muslin for the binding hoping it would help accentuate the muslin chains in the quilt. 

 I quilted it on my DSM with some clam shells that look a little wonky. It's the first time I've tried them.  I started at the bottom of the quilt and made the clam shell arcs sideways across the width of the quilt. I used each 2 inch space as my guide. Those squares got either half an arc or whole depending upon row.  So all completed rows were always at the right of the needle. 

 When I got to the middle of the quilt I turned it around and quilted the arcs sideways in a different direction with the rows of finished arcs to the left of the needle. 


 The clam shells are little wonky but I'm okay with that. 


After the quilt is washed they will crinkle up and disappear into the fabric a little more. I only have a wringer washer so didn't feel like getting it washed up yet since washing and drying a larger quilt around here is a lot of work. 

The backing is one of those Tim Holtz Eclectic Elements collage fabrics I just love. Its called Cigar Box Labels. I happened to make a quick stop at Hobby Lobby for thread a couple of months ago. While there I always check the sale bin It was my lucky day because Cigar Box Labels was in the sale bin for $4 a yard so I bought all that was left on the bolt which was about five yards. 


The reason I like this particular fabric is because I used to collect tobacco related ephemera like these cigarette silks and cards. We've been doing a bit of remodeling lately and I think this quilt and all the tobacco related items that includes a couple of ash tray tables, art deco cigar ash trays and cigar trade cards and magazine advertising would look good in a spare bedroom we are turning into a sort of office/computer room/library/ genealogy and scrapbook storage area. 

for

22 comments:

Julierose said...

A fantastic piece of sewing on this one--AND it turned out beautifully
I think you could look around it forever..great job hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

pretty great use of scraps!! that is one terrific quilt - I bet you had to keep standing back to look at it though when you were doing the layout

Connie said...

I am in awe of your amazing talent. This quilt ROCKS!
I love your backing fabric too, great find. Congrats on finishing . . . Now on to another:)

Toni Macomb said...

Wow! This quilt just blows me away! Love, love, love. Congrats on a great finish!

QuiltGram said...

What an accomplishment. If I read it right, you hand pieced the quilt. So fun to see all of the various fabrics in this quilt. I would always be stopping to enjoy the fabrics. Amazing project. I like your choice for the binding.

Cathy said...

Love it! Such a great pattern.

Quilting Babcia said...

I love that backing fabric almost as much as I love the front, so sparkly and cheerful. Super finish!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Cathy, that is a wonderful quilt! I really love all the color and the design your blocks created. Great finish!

Robin said...

This is really delightful. I bet it was very fun to make.

Sarah Aldrich said...

Love that backing fabric. As a crazy quilter I love the cigar and cigarette silks. Let me know if you have any you want to pass along! I am constantly amazed at how much you produce! I don’t have any finishes yet this year!

Louise said...

Epic finish! The bits and pieces of this one kept you busy for quite a while. I love seeing it all together and from a distance to admire all those geometric shapes. It's really wonderful and will look great in your Jack of All Trades room :)

MissPat said...

You've hit another one out of the ballpark. One could spend hours looking at all the little blocks and exclaiming over the fabrics. Yay for another finish.
Pat

mangozz said...

Gorgeous quilt! Love all of the colors together and the design is really unique! You never seem to run out of ideas...or fabric.

Linda said...

Fabulous! I love the intricacies of the piecing and the myriad of tiny scraps you used to make this delightful quilt. So much work, including the DSM quilted clam shells. A wonderful addition to your collection of quilts to keep.

Gretchen Weaver said...

This is an awesome quilt! Actually it looks like it could be a Bonnie Hunter quilt with all the color and fabric variety. Enjoy your finish!

SandyPA said...

Gallimaufry is a fitting name for this scrap lover's dream of a quilt. Good idea to make the "irish chain" more defined with the white-ish triangles. Your clamshell quilting is a unique design element. Rather than calling them wonky, just call them 'folksy'. It fits the quilt. Congratulations on this finish! BTW, the background arrived for my Endless Chain. Now trying to decide on four different patterns from small 5.5 to large 10 inch sections. Sandy at sewhigh.blogspot.com

Quilter Kathy said...

This is a fabulously happy scrap quilt! The secondary patterns are amazing! And the quilting is such a clever idea!

gayle said...

Gallimaufry is sheer joy expressed in patchwork! (And another one that is hanging around on my gotta-do list...) (You inspiration, you!)

Sue SA said...

Beautiful finish, so much Eye spy fun and colour, a really joyful quilt.

Nann said...

Wonderful, wonderful! Terrific backing fabric, too!

Sandy Panagos said...

It's wonderful. The variety makes it so fun.

Andrea said...

Fantastic quilt and an amazing story to boot! Love, love, love.