Sunday, November 24, 2019

This, That, And The Other Thing

 
 I rarely work on one quilt at a time or work on a quilt start to finish all in one year. I rarely pick all fabrics for a quilt before I start it. And I rarely cut all pieces for a quilt before I start it. 

So, this is a summary of what is going on in the sewing room right now. 

I've been working on Kansas Troubles 12 inch blocks. I started this quilt this year and it was inspired by a vintage quilt. I have been trying to make a few blocks each day and now have 20 of the 35 blocks I've decided I would like for a 5 x 7 layout that will measure 60 x 84 when finished. 

I've been making it with red, white and blue fabric and scraps as well as some men's shirts. 
 I used the Ladies' Art Company Block Tool for the block pattern. 
 I sort most of my scraps by size. The HSTs in the Kansas Troubles are two inches unfinished and I found this Sail Away pattern that calls for 440 - 2 inch unfinished HSTS  for pinwheels and "waves" so I'm going to start making those with scraps from Kansas Troubles before I throw the scraps in my 2 inch scrap bin. 
 Reminder to self...pattern is found in Sugar Sack Quilt book. 

 I also work on Beauteous (free pattern by Pat Bravo) a little each day...
...and have all 13 A blocks made. I said at the beginning of this post that I rarely choose all fabrics for a quilt before I begin. Well, this is an exception. I couldn't really choose fabrics as I make blocks for this quilt because they all kind of need to blend together in the finished quilt and the pattern calls for duplicates of blocks so I needed to figure out if I had enough of each fabric that I pulled from stash. If I didn't I chose another until I had all the fabrics A-S picked out. I hope my choices work out. 

I am not currently working on any hand quilting in the evening because I am out of batting so instead I have been cutting pieces for these blocks with scissors and paper template each evening and then I sew them up the next day. 


The curves and paper template and cutting with scissors of Beauteous reminded me that during a power outage this summer I cut pieces for a bunch of Wagon Wheel blocks for a quilt I started back in 2013. 

So yesterday I decided to sew together a few of those blocks. I'll sew a couple each day until that pile is gone then assess where I am with that UFO and work on it until it is a flimsy (or top, if you prefer).  I've been using 30s reproduction fabrics and solids to make these blocks. 

 Then I finally got around to piecing a test block for an Endless Chain quilt. A few months ago Sandy who blogs at Sew High sent me a link to an Endless Chain quilt and asked me if I would sew along with her and make one.  Well, yes, I replied.  But then I had so many different ideas for fabrics and colors that I could not decide what I wanted to do.  I also investigated other Endless Chain patterns like the one at Quilter's Cache and one in a book I own.  In the end I decided on the one in the link Sandy originally sent and decided to make templates (paper and scissor cutting again) and give the blocks a try.   I decided I would use a variety of gray pieces I have for garden paths (the chain) and florals for the rest.  I used scraps for these test blocks and decided I will move forward and actually declare this a new project. 
In the end I will probably set the blocks on point and use floral fabric for side setting triangles. Sandy let me know she has her background fabric now and she is ready to begin on hers. Not sure what pattern or color scheme she is using yet.  Anyone else care to join us? 

 I really enjoy piecing but I really don't enjoy sewing blocks together.  So I am usually working on getting one project to flimsy (or top, if you prefer) stage.  I have all the Sixteen Patch Stars webbed together and have been trying to now sew the rows together - at least one row a day. 

 I've been trying to work on orphan block quilts too and just finished this flimsy (or top, if you prefer) that measures 40 x 56.  The Broken Wheel blocks are left over from a quilt I finished in 2016.  The border fabric was left over from a quilt backing. The six inch four patches came in a package from a quilty friend. 

I pulled a bunch of blue and white orphan blocks for the next orphan block quilt. 

So that's a little of this and that. And the other thing? I have to report for jury duty tomorrow at 8 a.m. sharp.  Last time I was on a jury for a civil case (homeowner vs home builder) I learned more than I ever wanted to know about Tyvek.  Boring!! 


14 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

It's so fun to get a peek at the different things you're working on, and where you get your inspiration, Cathy! I often see something that interests me, too. That Beauteous pattern is amazing!

Linda said...

I am also a fan of your explanations of what you’re working on and how the projects originated. Fascinating. As always I’m amazed how you manage to keep so many balls in the air. I think I would forget how to make the various blocks (lots of seam ripping I suspect). Good luck with Jury Duty. Don’t envy you. I have had to do this once and that will be my only time as I’m now deemed too old. One benefit of getting older I guess! Googled Tyvak......... I can see how riveting a subject it would have been!

cityquilter grace said...

love all your in progress stuff....i tend to sew like that also....a healthy dose of serendipity....but with a stack of basted items too, plenty to keep me busy during TV time....love all the photos...keep showing!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I have done jury duty several times, usually missing out on being seated because I was employed by a local law firm. The one time I was chosen it was for a grand jury (quite different and actually pretty interesting). Love how many projects you have in various stages - so much like my own process.

gayle said...

Doesn't that scissor-cutting/template-tracing take you back to the old days? I'm equally nostalgic and appalled at how much extra work it is/was. Good luck with that!
I've done jury duty several times. Sometimes it was interesting and sometimes stunningly boring - and you can never tell which way it's going to go. Enjoy. Or, at least, make the best of it!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

It is always inspiring to see what you are up to. I work on multiple projects at once too. But I always forget to take photos :(

Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Louise said...

I think 2020 is going to be the Year of the Orphan Block. At least in my studio and maybe a bit in yours! I like the sailboat pattern, but personally do not like sailboats. Not many power boat patterns out there. Maybe I need to create my own. Interesting that you don't really like putting the blocks together; that's one of my favorite parts. I guess that's why I enjoy coddling other people's orphans :)

MissPat said...

What an interesting array of works in progress. I don't have nearly as many, but feel like I've got to finish up some before starting new ones, But then I see something new and off I go. Trying not to get involved in any new QAL or mysteries, though. I get the blocks done, then don't feel compelled to finish them. Good luck with jury duty. Last time I spent all day, was called up and then excused.
Pat

Pamela Arbour said...

I agree with all of the previous comments. Oh my! Thank you for taking the time to share your thought process. Everytime I read your post, I pick up something valuable to helping me be more productive with my scraps.

Cathy said...

A fun post, especially as the year draws to a close. You’ve got a lot of fun projects going, as always. The Endless Chain reminds me a bit of my current string project. I’ve decided to use string blocks as leaders and enders.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Very nice projects going. I love the Rolling Stone blocks. I've never seen the endless chain block before! Clicking on the link to the pattern, I caught my breath - it's going to be stunning!

Nann said...

Such a bounty of WIPs! I've seen a couple of Endless Chain variations (there was one in Fons & Porter)....ought to look that up again. Hope you get to take some time off to enjoy Thanksgiving with your family!

Ann said...

You are such a font of inspiration tempting me to start some more blocks. I have an overflowing scrap bin and will need to start some string quilts soon.

audrey said...

Ooh, love your beauteous blocks so much! It's going to be an amazing quilt!