Sunday, July 15, 2018

It's a Finish! Postage Stamp Sue



Postage Stamp Sue
40 x 56
hand quilted

I started making blocks back in 2013 after seeing it on Q is for Quilter.  Martha had seen a vintage quilt and then graciously broke down the block into a postage stamp grid.  I made a block each month as a Rainbow Scrap Challenge project.  The top was finally put together in 2015.


I used all scraps to make the quilt.  I hand quilted stitching a crosshatch pattern.  I didn't stitch through the flower or leaves, the shoes, the legs, the arms or the balloons. So they all kind of stand out a little.  I used Coats and Clarks white hand quilting thread for the background and 2 strands of variegated embroidery thread for the dress, sock, bonnet and borders. 

 At first I was going to bind it with solids in colors of the rainbow but at the last minute I decided it needed a white binding instead. I found enough of a white with Vs that look a little like hearts in my stash to use. 
And the backing?  You're my end of the rainbow! 

All this work on a baby quilt?  It's for someone special. It's going into the hope chest for a great grandchild I may or may not ever meet.  (It will probably be awhile...the oldest grandchild is 13 years old). 

for

at


I spent a whole month of Sundays stitching away on this so:
and
A whole bunch of scraps were used in these blocks so:

25 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Postage Stamp Sue is a wonderful finish, Cathy! All the colors of the rainbow and beautiful hand stitching make it really special.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Your baby quilt is amazing, I love the little girls, the cute binding (looks like hearts, really!), and the backing!

gayle said...

It's an adorable quilt! (And you are a woman who likes to plan ahead, aren't you?)

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Definitely a keeper for the hope chest. I like how you left some areas unquilted. The texture is wonderful. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Linda said...

What an amazingly fast hand quilting finish! Wow, a real fast worker. Love the blocks and the hand stitching is perfect. Your choice of binding and backing fabrics are perfect. Your hope chest intrigues me. As a daily follower of your blog I remember other beautiful Quilts going into the hope chest...... I think it's actually a Hope Vault!

Julierose said...

This is just so cute and evocative--i love it...your quilting is beautiful lovely job hugs, Julierose

PaulaB quilts said...

That is a really sweet quilt and the backing is perfect.

Renee said...

What a lovely quilt! The backing fabric is gorgeous, too.

Lori said...

Stunning!!

Quilting Babcia said...

What a beautiful heirloom for a future great-grandbaby. Made even more special because it is hand quilted. Beautiful finish Cathy!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats! on completing a quilt for your future great!!

Sharon said...

Congrats on your beautiful finish! A true heirloom!

Jenny said...

You've done a wonderful job, hand quilting makes it super special. And you are so right to tuck it away for a future family member - no matter how long it takes. And if it takes years and years, just make sure your family knows your wishes.

Libby in TN said...

Sue's just too cute!! Pixellating the design was a great idea.

Louise said...

I would have never guessed that white binding would be exactly the right choice for the Sues. Great idea! I hope you'll let them out of the hope chest every once in a while, as they wait patiently for a great grandchild :)

Karrin Hurd said...

Congratulations on your finish of a beautiful quilt!

Ann said...

As everyone already wrote, it’s lovely. I like the asymmetrical blocks with Sue on the side. How cute to have her pixelated! This will be a treasure for some fortunately great-grandchild... whenever she arrives.

SandraC said...

I'm sure this will be the sweetest thing I see all week! Lovely finish!

Quilter Kathy said...

Oh I love it! Such a fun Rainbow Scrap Challenge project with all the colourful scraps, and finished so beautifully with hand quilting and a perfect backing! Congrats!

Miaismine said...

How beautiful! I think that this will be a precious gift to your great grandchild! How special for them to have a hand-quilted gift from you! I could tell right away by the texture that your quilt was hand-quilted...there's just something soft about it. Gorgeous!

Deb A said...

Congrats on the finish! I have loved watching this one grow through the challenge. You did a wonderful job and what a lucky future great grandchild to receive this.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

She is just adorable!!! Congrats on the finish!

Patty said...

Such a lovely finish! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

Karen's Korner said...

Congrats on such a lovely finish.

Marci Girl said...

I love that it is all scraps! Well done and congrats on the finish. Thanks for linking up on behalf of the 2018 Finish-A-Long global hosts.