Wednesday, July 18, 2018

It's a Finish! Pansy Patch


Pansy Patch
84 x 84
machine quilted

I was inspired by a picture of a Tula Pink quilt called Chipper.  It's a basic 12 inch Birds in the Air block set on point.  Although she has a free pattern you can use if you are so inclined I made the blocks my own way plus made my quilt a bit larger. 



I found it a great way to use some of the larger print pansy fabrics I've had in my stash for quite some time. 


I quilted it on my DSM with horizontal and diagonal lines basically stitching a quarter inch inside the triangles that are the color of the outside triangles (if that makes sense?)  I had some variegated Coat's and Clark's machine quilting threads on hand but wasn't sure if I had enough of either so I used a purple variegated on the front and...


...an aqua, pink, yellow, purple variegated thread in the bobbin. 

I found just enough fabric for the backing stashed in my butterfly fabric box.  In fact the quilt width just fit inside those dotted lines on each selvage. And I had just enough of a purple solid for the binding. 

The quilt looks like it could be reversible. 

This one is for my bed now.  I'll bet it feels great in the morning to wake up surrounded by pansies.  (Or to see it at the foot of the bed since I don't have a/c so don't really use quilts in the summer). 

for

22 comments:

Sally Trude said...

The longer you look at a pansy, the more amazing they seem with their deep rich purples/burgundy etc with a small burst of yellow. And your quilt captures that completely with its deep rich tones. Plus its with pansy fabrics. I'm so glad you're keeping and enjoying this one.

Teresa said...

A great quilt. Love all the deep rich colors!

Barb Neiwert said...

Lovely quilt! I love the colors, bright and happy. and the backing is perfect. And another goal finished - WTG!!!

audrey said...

It's gorgeous! Love this finish. Your simple quilting is just the right touch.:)

cityquilter grace said...

just plain lovely...

mkhquilts said...

WOW!! that is so beautiful!

Astrid Reflux said...

It's really beautuful, Cathy! What a vibrant purple that is, just gorgeous.

swooze said...

Love it!

Julierose said...

Beautiful finish on this--you have become my quilting heroine...I can only aspire to thin of ways to use my stuff as well as you do...hugs, Julierose

Connie said...

Your quilt is beautiful. I love the fabrics and colors that you choose.
Happy quilting!
Connie :)

Pamela Arbour said...

Nice and colorful. Just Beautiful!

mangozz said...

It's gorgeous Cathy! I love the colors and design. I really need a purple quilt but I still haven't collected enough purples.

Louise said...

Oh, those purples!! So many luscious, juicy purples! Love this quilt and am so glad to hear that it will be on your own bed. Definitely a keeper!!

Linda said...

I loved these pansy blocks when you showed photos during their making. Suddenly, as if by magic, they have come together in a gorgeous quilt, beautiful purples and deep blues. No wonder you can't wait to sleep under it.

Kay said...

Just gorgeous

Mystic Quilter said...

Love this quilt, the colours are luscious!

Angie said...

Beautiful finish! I love all the color changes and pansy variations. As always, the depth of your stash is magical!

Ann said...

Your quilt turned out beautifully. I enjoyed watching your progress, especially because Birds in the Air was a pattern I hand sewed years ago with lots of muslin. It was much too light. The way you mixed large prints on the big triangles livens everything up. It will be beautiful to sleep under the pansies on cold winter nights and look at them on hot summer days. I’m so glad you’re keeping this one for yourself. Congratulations.

CPAQuilter said...

Lovely quilt!

Janie said...

Cathy, that is breath taking!
I've been practicing the work for 20 minutes and rotate to something else etc.
And it's working out well. I pieced together a stack of four patches and HSTs
and I like that idea of piecing units until you get a whole stack.
Who knows what you can make with them?
Very exciting.

Kaja said...

One of my favourites! I love the intensity of the colour and am glad to think this one is going on your bed.

Mary said...

Very nice! So many components were just meant to be part of this PURPLE project.