Saturday, July 21, 2018

Red 1.5 Inch Scraps


This week I dug into my red 1.5 inch scraps. In case you don't know...I sort a lot of my scraps by size. All colors go into the various "size" bins and I sort through there for the color I need. I do not precut fabric to fill those bins but it seems they are always more than half full.  They kind of remind me of those doll baby bottles that you tip up to feed the doll  and the "milk" disappears and then when you turn it right side up the bottle is magically full again. 

Anyway...back to the red 1.5 inch scraps...I made three strawberries.  I just googled "strawberry quilt block" saw a picture of one, committed it to memory and went and made three blocks.  I have an old UFO - Tea Towel Challenge- kind of fruit themed - that I've decided to take apart and start over. I think I work better if I have all the quilt parts assembled before I attempt to make a quilt top.  More on that later after all the parts are assembled. 

Speaking of assembly...I've been making little three inch rail fence blocks for a couple of years from my 1.5 inch scraps.  Maybe it's time to count and decide what to do with them. There's so many options.   And the block on the left - a 21 patch - kind of a Chinese Coin variation block that measures 6 x 14 - I should probably count those too and decide what to do with them.  I've been calling the block "Whatchamacallit".  

16 comments:

gayle said...

Tea Towel Challenge rings a bell, but I don't remember details. (I'd go on a sight-seeing expedition through your blog to find it, but I don't know if I'd survive the inspiration of seeing all your lovely quilts again) (I have enough UFOs at the moment, thankyouverymuch) (Though I'm immensely heartened by seeing your UFO page - a woman after my own heart)

Kathy S. said...

The strawberries are so cute!

maggie fellow said...

I remember those bottles - I loved them - great strawberry idea

Linda said...

Love those strawberries! Goodness, you've put another idea in my head!!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I have been wanting to make a fruit themed quilt for quite some time. Maybe that can be my new RSC project.

Janie said...

Red makes up into beautiful blocks.
Strawberries, rails and coins so many possibilities!

Deb A said...

Cute berry blocks! Thanks for the great idea - I am cleaning and clearing and think a chinese coin needs to get made in my sewing area soon.....

Barbara said...

Love your little strawberry blocks! They're so cute!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Lots of fun RED scraps floating around your sewing room! Glad you found some time to transform some of them into RSC blocks this week.

Pamela Arbour said...

Those strawberries look simply delicious! Love all of your reds.

Kaja said...

Your scrap boxes definitely seem to have magical properties.

DreamNT said...

It is very interesting information. Thanks for the knowledge.






ภัยธรรมชาติ

Ada Plouvier-Kopitopoulou said...

Lovely strawberries! I have a very big basket full of scraps. Really have to sort them out and put in the right boxes, (size, colour).The basket is overflowing!! Could make some strawberries and other fruit too!

Louise said...

Scraps appear out of nowhere, it seems. Oh, wait, we do cut more fabric, don't we? Those strawberries are the bees knees, very cute!

Quilter Kathy said...

Love those juicy looking strawberries!

canuckquilter said...

Aren't those just the cutest little straberries! You've just made my to-do list longer...