Wednesday, September 25, 2024

WITB #9 - Quiet Time


It's a top!
Quiet Time
Low Volume
57 x 76



(What's in the 11 x 13 x 8.5 inch box of 3 inch width scraps?)

This is comfort quilt #9 that I've made from those scraps ! 

And I still have some scraps in that box!  


I was able to make all 48 Nine Patches from the pastel and white squares in the box of scraps. I was just going to make a Nine Patch quit but then it just seemed kind of boring.  I'm not really fond of pastels or white on whites and a lot of those squares in the Nine Patches are old florals.

I decided to turn the Nine Patches into Hot Cross Nine Patches - an old Block Lotto block we made in 2012.    To frame the Nine Patches I used an little pile of old white on white scraps   And for the insert strips I cut some of the 3 inch width pastel scraps into 1 inch strips and when those ran out I used a few pastel scraps from my little box of pastel scraps. 

Well, I don't know what I was thinking when I started down the Hot Cross Nine Patch path...I don't really like to make blocks that get cut apart and then put back together like these. I'd rather just make the finished block than cut them apart because sometimes I am not a precision piecer and sometimes I may cut a little wonky. I'll blame it on bad eyesight.   But now all is said and done and I've moved on to WITB quilt #10.   I only have a few more days left in the month to empty that box of 3 inch scraps!

And sew on...

CELEBRATE! (my word of the year)

Sept. 22 - First day of Autumn!   This time of year when I walk around the gardens at sunrise it looks like there is a golden glow on everything. I wasn't able to capture it in a photo.


Sept. 23 - Finished a book! - Holmes, Marple and Poe by James Patterson and Brian Sitts.   Three private investigators with famous last names and mysterious pasts work together to solve crimes. It is the first of what is to be a series. The book was okay reading but nothing like Patterson's detective Alex Cross series. Not sure I'll be all that anxious to read the second book in the series when it is released. 

Sept. 24 - Echinacea or Coneflowers.   I added several new varieties to the garden this year. 








Also this year I learned about Aster Yellows. It is a phytoplasma spread to plants by leaf hoppers. The plant then produces some green alien looking flowers. Once a plant gets yellow asters there is no cure for it and plants should be pulled out of the garden. So far I haven't had the heart to do that on my two infected coneflowers -- a white swan and purple coneflower I grew from seeds and have had for a long time. But I guess it has to be done But I don't have the heart to pull up a plant I have had for a long time even if it is now deformed. They are in my native wildflower area and I'm not sure what mother nature would do with these. 




 

5 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I had that happen to one of my coneflowers and someone told me to pull it out. I didn't and the next year and the next it was normal again.

MissPat said...

The roses in yesterday's post were lovely. I think you said you've been spraying deer repellant on them. Too bad about the coneflowers. I've never had that disease on my coneflowers. I only have the old-fashioned purple ones. But something has attacked one of my lilacs. All the leaves on the lower part have turned brown and fallen off. I've thought about cutting it down because the deer won't leave it alone, so this may be the year it happens.
I'm amazed at how many quilts you've made from the 3" scrap box and how fast you gotten them done. Were some of the blocks previously made and all done this month?
Pat

Pamela Arbour said...

You really fooled me on this one. I couldn't find the actual block to save my life! I would have never figured it to be a disappearing 9-patch! That was a fabulous idea and it worked out beautifully. I am impressed. It will certainly be loved. I am also impressed with your vegetable garden and flower gardens. I don't see how you get all of that done. My son likes to read James Patterson. I will have to see if he knows about this series.

RyLynn said...

This is so so sweet and absolutely NOT boring! Your sunrise photo is very peaceful.

Anonymous said...

I think my eldest granddaug (& DIL) would like this sweet pastel scheme and the pattern. I agree it creates more interest for me than a plain 9-P, which would probably be my default. Thank you for sharing so many other creative options.