Saturday, September 14, 2024

Twilight Flock

Twilight Flock
6 inch blocks

I used some black scraps this week for the wings of the Flying Geese and sides of my Twilight Flock blocks.  As I've been processing scraps I have put any darker 2.5 inch colored strips that might be long enough for 3 Flying Geese bodies in this project bag along with any finished blocks. 

I started making blocks in January 2024. I was inspired by a quilt called Twilight Flock in  From the Cover (Quilter's Newsletter Magazine Editors and Contributors).


I think I have 30 more blocks to go for a complete block set. 

And sew on...


****
CELEBRATE! (my word of the year)

Sept. 13 - Money Plant and memories. 

Lunaria (aka Money Plant, Silver Dollar, Honesty) self seeds here and there around here (except where I actually want it to grow). I have a vase of the silvery pods in the house and I have made many wreaths of dried flowers that included Money Plant.   Lunaria is actually in the same family as broccoli and brussel sprouts. Funny thing is that deer eat my broccoli and brussel sprout plants but never bother the patches of lunaria.   I always refer to it as Money Plant because that is what my maternal great grandmother Anna called it. I only met my great grandmother once or twice. Her son Ralph,my grandfather, died before I was born and mom rarely took us to visit any of her relatives. (Mom and Dad were separated and later divorced around this time.) Well, anyway, my visit with my great grandmother was memorable. I was younger than 12 - maybe 11 years old. She died at the age of 89 in 1964 so that's how I know.   Well, anyway, when we visited her at home she was braiding a rug made with strips of old clothing. She had big braided rugs all over the house and I just loved them. She took a little time to show me how she made the rugs. I was fascinated.   She also had vases full of Money Plant all over the house. Again, I was fascinated. She gave me a few seeds.     Later when I got home I really wanted to make a braided rug. We really didn't have any old clothes to use but Dad said I could use a box of old flannel receiving blankets if I wanted. I wanted.   I did make a little braided rug I kept on on the wooden floor on my side of the bed I shared with my sister.   I planted the seeds of the money plant in a bare spot on the side of the house but since I didn't know what the leaves of the plant were supposed to look like and since I was only 11 or so I never did grow any money plants but I never forgot about them. 

Also, hubby finally got his license renewed.  We were afraid he would not get that done before it expired. Since he is over 70 he can no longer renew online. And an appointment has to be made in order to renew.  He can't drive right now; however, he thinks he will be able to do so one of these days so he didn't want it to expire.  Funny thing we always laugh about is that I seem to be a stranger magnet. (We actually call me a "weirdo magnet" but the people really aren't all that weird- probably just lonely). Wherever I go, and I don't go many places, someone always sits next to me and starts telling me their life story.  A gentleman sat right down in the chair next to me and started talking as soon as John's number was called and he got up went up to the desk for the license renewal.   Earlier in the week I took John to his ENT appointment and was in the waiting room and an elderly lady (hmmm, I'm old so maybe she wasn't so old) sat down next to me and started chatting away. Good thing I'm better at listening than chatting.  


 

12 comments:

Chantal said...

I love your blocks. Looking forward to seeing the flimsy or a top.
You must have a very soft face, like a welcoming face. I have a permanent smile on my face and people start conversations with me all the time. It annoys my husband to no end. Haha. Lunaria is a fascinating plant. I would have never guessed it was related to broccoli. Broccoli? Really! The world is awesome! Enjoy! ;^)

Sara said...

My mother always had money plants growing by the house. And she would dry those and put them in a vase too. Thanks for the trip down memory lane this morning. Those flying geese blocks look awesome with the dark wings.

RyLynn said...

The contrast of bright triangles on black backgrounds is stunning. I hope you will hurry to finish this top 😄. My maternal great grandmother was also named Anna and she lived to 85 in Chicago. I think she only made pies, but my paternal grandmother made 'crazy quilts' with old clothes that I adored. I think it's why I adore (and mostly make) wonky quilts now. Maybe it's why I love your wonky blocks the most

Julierose said...

Twilight Flocks blocks are so evocative and lovely, Cathy. The scrappy vibe just leads your eyes around them all--great WIP hugs, Julierose

Linda Swanekamp said...

I have always loved those plants. I bought some seeds last year, but I could not get them to germinate. I will try again this year. I also love hand braided rugs. The dark geese are so different. I laid out a quilt with dark colors this week and it made me feel sad. Have to try and brighten it up. Great work as usual!

Beth said...

I love your twilight flock blocks - stunning! Since I’ve found your blog my quilting style has become so much more fearless…LOL! I’m putting colors and fabrics together that I previously would not venture to do so! Thank you for sharing snippets of your life - Beth in AL

MissPat said...

The Twilight Flock blocks will make an intriguing quilt. I like the way they look so far.
I planted Money Plant maybe 15 or 20 years ago when I was in garden club and we used them for fall wreaths and arrangements. Some pop up every year and I just leave them whenever they appear. I think the deer leave them alone because the leaves are rough ans a bit prinkly.
Pat

Jenny said...

Twilight Flock indeed, it's like your geese are flying in the night sky.

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh goodness, I just love the moodiness feel of your Twilight Flock, you couldn't have picked a more appropriate name!

Pamela Arbour said...

Your twilight block is outstanding! Love your stories. I never knew anyone who made the braided type rugs, but I always liked them. Oh, the dreaded drivers' license renewal. I skated by on my last renewal because of Covid, I think, so my next renewal is 2031. Seems like a long time away. It will be here before I know it.

Anonymous said...

Those birdies in the night sky are just fabulously good!

Nann said...

Thanks for your story about lunaria. My mother really liked it (and Chinese lanterns) because they worked so well in flower arrangements. A renewed license is a great ego-booster! Oh, and the quilt blocks look great with the dark-background colorway.