Sunday, September 29, 2024

Old Italians

Old Italian Quilt Blocks
3 inch finished

I've had these in a little basket at the end of my ironing board for about six months. They needed to be ironed and trimmed and finally that has happened.  I just have never been in the mood for trimming little blocks. This morning I told myself I needed to empty out that basket and get rid of somethings at the end of my ironing board. 

These are made from 5 inch squares following the tutorial at My Soulful Journey. She calls the blocks "X Marks The Spot".   It is a stack and whack method.   Months ago when I made these blocks I was almost out of 5 inch squares but since then I have accumulated more.  I've been making them off and on for over a year as a Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) project  and have never figured out what size quilt I'm making nor have I counted my blocks until today. 

I have 309 blocks. If I make a 60 x 81 quilt (layout 20 x 27) I need 540 blocks. So I guess I will be making 231 more blocks. That also means I need to find 231 more 5 inch squares. So maybe I will be making blocks for this quilt for another year. 

And sew on...

CELEBRATE! (my word of the year)

Sep 28 - Finished a really good book! - The Alice Network by Kate Quinn. It is a fictional story that takes place in 1947 but woven with true characters and events that occurred during WWI that have had an effect on the 1947 fictional characters.  The novel is inspired by the true story of the Alice Network, a group of women spies who worked for the British during World War I in the area of Lille, France, gathering information about German troop movements and battle plans.The real life characters and events are documented in the addendum. Louise de Bettignies/Alice Dubois , a very brave and courageous woman, was one of those real life characters and the head of the WWI spy ring The Alice Network. 

1 comment:

Julierose said...

Love your "X" blocks--the colors are amazing--it really glows, Cathy;))
Beautiful work on these--hugs, Julierose