Thursday, September 12, 2024

WITB #5 -- Hooray For Red, White and Blue !



It's a top!
16 Patch and Stars
in red, white and blue

60 x 80


(What's in the box of 3 inch width scraps)

This is comfort quilt #5


These are red, white and blue 3 inch width scraps from the box. I had to add in a few background fabrics because there were not enough in my box. I took most of them from my box of patriotic print scraps. 

For the star centers I used squares I found in my Parts Department - 5.5 inch squares and when I didn't have enough 5.5 inch squares in red and blue I found some in the 6 inch squares and cut those down to 5.5 inches.    I made the 16 patches in half red and half blue with neutrals on the diagonals.  I did not use any pattern. I made a rough sketch of a layout I had in my mind based on the scraps I had in each color. 

In case you are wondering how I made the made the Flying Geese for the stars from 3 inch width scraps...

...I use the Easy Angle ruler to cut the geese wings and I use the Companion Angle ruler to cut the geese bodies.     When I cut the bodies I first use the Easy Angle ruler to cut a HST at the beginning of the strip otherwise that piece would be wasted fabric. 

I also use the Easy Angle ruler to cut an HST at the end of the strip after I've finished cutting my geese bodies.  And then I cut the squares needed from the star corners from the rest of the strip.  I will make HSTs with those orange pieces later on. They will not be used to make the Sawtooth Star. 

The geese wings are also cut from a 3 inch width strip. 

So when all is cut and done I have pieces for four Flying Geese and four squares for a Sawtooth Star and I have four HST orange parts that I will make into HSTs later.  No part of the 3 inch width scrap went to waste!

And sew on...


***
CELEBRATE! (my word of the year)

Sept. 7 - Finished a book! - The Rose Arbor by Rhys Bowen.  I have read quite a few books by Rhys Bowen  so thought I would give this one a try. An investigation into a missing girl leads to a mystery of two missing girls during WWII.  By the end of the book no girls are missing - mysteries solved. The book was okay but not one of my favs by Rhys Bowen. 

Sept. 8 - A little birdie (a stork) told me another baby girl, Ellison, has joined our large family. She was born to my nephew and his wife. I mentioned the other day that Scarlett just joined our family. Since I used to keep track of the family tree and did research before there was an internet and microfilm readers were hand cranked everyone usually gets around to asking me how new members that join the family are related. Scarlett, born a few days ago, and Ellison are second cousins once removed. 

Sept. 9 - I like oatmeal. I eat it for lunch at least once a week. (I don't eat for breakfast because that usuallly consists of yogurt and fruit and cinnamon toast with my coffee. Well, anyway, I have been reading about overnight oats and looked at a few recipes for it. Most call for chia seeds to be added.  I went grocery shopping and couldn't find any chia seeds. I figured there were not many demands for it at our little grocery store out here in the boondocks so was going to skip the chia seeds but an older store employee saw me looking around and asked if he could help me. I asked for chia seeds. He laughed. I said they are not just for chia pets anymore, you know. He asked another older store employee who was stocking the aisle where the chia seeds were found and he had no idea what I was talking about either. I told them about overnight oats and said I wanted to try them out and eat healthy...says the woman with a cart full of ice cream because it was on sale. More laughing. Finally a younger store employee pointed out the chia seeds. Ch...ch...ch...chia! He even knew that I was probably going to use them in overnight oats.   So, anyway, lots of laughing with strangers went on that day because of chia seeds.   I still have not tried any overnight oats. One of these days...

Sept. 10 -- Beautiful weather again. I've been working outside for several hours each day. I've cleared patches of stinging nettles and black raspberry brambles and trimmed some scrub brush.  I also ran into several big patches of poison ivy each day. Strangely enough I have not yet broken out with a rash. And I have to say a lot of times in the past I have had rashes all over my body and had flu like symptoms to go with it. No poison ivy rash? Definitely cause for celebration!  I also received a seed order. And I have started dreaming of future gardens.   Gardening is kind of like quilting but the garden patches are 3D. 

Sept. 11 - Finished a book -- The Scandalous Life of Nancy Randolph by Kate Braithwaite.  Historical fiction set in 1790s. I agree with what some other reviewers have said:  "A compelling historical retelling of the first great scandal to shake America." "The Scandalous Life of Nancy Randolph" is a compelling work of historical fiction that brings to life a pivotal moment in early American history. Its blend of meticulous research, imaginative storytelling, and complex characterisation makes it a must-read for fans of the genre and newcomers alike."





 

8 comments:

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Another beauty, Cathy! It looks like a fun one to piece too! I always love a red , white and blue quilt. Have a wonderful weekend and Happy quilting.

Kat Scribner said...

What a great flimsy !!

Julierose said...

Beautiful flimsie, Cathy--so pretty!!
BTW: I eat oatmeal a lot too. Sometimes I add yogurt to mine instead of milk...good and creamy that way....hugs for a great upcoming weekend Julierose

RyLynn said...

Gorgeous stars! I also found the purple and orange tutorial inspirational. I have a terracotta planter with a huge purple heart spiderwort on the patio outside my window. I love the colors and have been seriously considering a quilt. I will start it today!

Nann said...

The RWB four patches are a great touch, Cathy. Thanks for sharing your cutting method. My husband has steel-cut oats nearly every morning. He seasons it with butter (soft margarine, actually) and salt and pepper. I make it by the pot (6 cups water, 1-1/2 c oats) and keep it in the refrigerator.

Jenny said...

Your red, white and blue stars is wonderful, I like the way you have stitched the alternate blocks too. Such a lot for you to celebrate too.

Pamela Arbour said...

Oh Wow! What a week you have had! Great quilt flimsy, another baby into the family, finished a book, had fun in the grocery store looking for ch-ch-ch-chia seeds, and your book reading. You had a good week of celebrations. The overnight oats are pretty good, but I think it is overrated.:)

Linda Swanekamp said...

Just a wonderful RWB star quilt! Very snappy! I have both those rulers but never thought of being so smart with them, thanks. Good luck with the overnight oats, my husband did not like them, thought they were too gelatinous.