Thursday, May 9, 2024

It's a Finish! Even Nine Patches in Uneven Nine Patches

Even Nine Patches in Uneven Nine Patches 
or
Puss in the Corner with 3 Inch Nine Patch Centers

It's a finish!
59 x 72

Finally I have a finish! This one has been pin basted for quite awhile. This time of year I spend more time in the gardens sowing than I spend in the sewing space sewing.  So all month long I've quilted on this one on my DSM a little at a time. 

This quilt started with some swapped 3 inch nine patches. Long ago I used to belong to a group that swapped the little Nines quarterly. I've used them in several quilts over the years but still to this day have a small bin of them.  

I added sashing between the blocks that made little Nine Patches with light corners.  I finished the top back in 2021. 

I quilted it on my DSM (Brother PQ1500SL) with diagonal, vertical and horizontal lines. 



The backing and binding are the same fabric. 

And sew on...


***
CELEBRATE! (My word of the year)

May 4 - I've been seing a fox on my property off and on for awhile now. To me that is a good thing because I was thinking it would take care of some moles and voles and mice and rabbits that do damage to my gardens. Then one day I saw two foxes in the early morning when I looked outside my deck door. They were in the bushes in front of the tumble down barn. Maybe they live here. If I'm going to have varmints around I prefer fox now that I don't raise chickens anymore. 

May 5 - Oh, what a beautiful day!  We have had such beautiful weather for several days. I have most of my veg garden planted and seeds sown.  I just have to plant the tomatoes I started from seeds and am hardening off now as well as a few squash and cantaloupe seeds.  I've also sown a few seeds in the cutting garden like zinnias, sunflowers, calendula and planted some delphinium, foxglove, larkspur and love lies bleeding plants I started from seeds early in the year. 

May 6 - Received a box of this and that! Oh, what fun! I have taken a picture and since the theme this month in my sewing space is "WITB and SAR" - the WITB being "What's in the Box/Bag/Bin" I will work on making blocks/tops and document what I made from the contents in the box to share in a later blog post. 


 








May 7 - Rain! I was trying to get a lot of my seeds planted before the rain. The gardens needed it and it showed. And because of the rain I was able to spend a little time in the sewing space as well as catch up on some housework. 

May 8 - Sun came out and dried up all the rain and I did a little more planting. Finished sewing binding on a quilt! And I finished another book -- Secret Photograph by Siobahn Curham. It is a WWII historical novel set around true historical events in WWII Paris and resistance fighters who photographed some of the horrific events that took place like children thrown from a window during an orphanage raid. 

13 comments:

Julierose said...

What a lovely finish Cathy!! Boy lots of little square sewing in this one--it
turned out beautifully--nice work hugs, Julierose

Helenchaffin said...

What a beautiful finish!

Chantal said...

Wow! I LOVE this one! I too have a lot of 9-patch blocks (but not as many as you, lol). I had to go to 2021 to see the top as I wasn't following you back then. It's gorgeous! I'm pinning this picture to remember to make one like this. thanks for the inspiration. Enjoy the new box of goodies. ;^)

Linda said...

So manny scraps in this quilt - lots for the recipient to look at and enjoy. I wonder how many tiny pieces you used to make it?

Julie in GA said...

I love this quilt! What a great way to use up some of those 9-patch blocks.

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Wonderful scrappy quilt and fabulous use of the 3" swap nine patches.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Beautiful colorful finish!!! Yay!!!

Nann said...

Planned sashing takes time -- and the result is worth it. I still have boxes of DLD and LDL mini-9's, some with people's address labels (including yours).

grammajudyb said...

That is a fabulous quilt! I studied and studied how you did that! Well done, it’s awesome!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Such a beautiful quilt, Cathy! All those little 9 patches - love it! I always enjoy reading your celebrations. I'm happy for it to be gardening season - it's time to plant in Colorado, too!

Allison said...

The sashing with nine patches is a great idea. The quilt looks wonderful, scrappy but somehow cohesive too. Love ready your positive thoughts for each day too, you are doing a great job keeping up with those. We've just had a week of sunshine after months of rain so I've been doing very similar things to you in our garden. No foxes though - I tolerate the neighbourhood cats as our pest patrol!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is a super great quilt. its kind of fun to look at all over!!
And your celebrates!! Too cool! I don't know that weve had foxes up close - that would be cool to see

mangozz said...

That is a very beautiful quilt! I love your idea of the sashing. I am assuming this is your own design. Do you have an intended recipient?