Friday, February 9, 2024

Animal Crackers

Two Tops Dancing in the Wind
I'm calling them Animal Crackers.
Each top measures 40 x 60.
The blocks contain solids and animal prints.


I actually started making the blocks back in 2020. I've had 43 blocks in my SAR (Some Assembly Required) box for quite some time so I decided to get them out and into tops. I think originally I intended to make a twin sized quilt with the 43 blocks in a 6 x 7 layout. I changed my mind and made two tops instead and now I have 3 blocks left for the orphanage. 

I forgot how much I like the size of these 30 patch blocks that measure 10 x 12. That is a good size for making kid's donation quilts. 20 blocks make for a 40 x 60 quilt and 16 blocks make for a 40 x 48 quilt. I'm going to have to make more of these. 

Back in September 2020 when I started making blocks I wrote in my blog post:

"I was inspired by Gretchen's (Gretchen's Little Corner) quilt she called Modern Amish and by Nann's (With Strings Attached) 30 patch quilt. Both quilts were inspired by a quilt called Sound Check by John Kubiniec (McCall's, March/April 2014)."


Now I hope to find a couple backings and get these quilted up next month when I have a quilting marathon. 

And sew on...



****
Celebrate! (my word of the year)

Today, Feb. 9 - I had to venture into town early this morning for an 8 am appt. with my opthamologist. And, oh, birds were everywhere and singing sweetly! 

The poem The Birds Begin at Four O'Clock by Emily Dickinson

 

10 comments:

Laura said...

These are so bright and fun! One can't help but smile with these quilts! :)

Jenny said...

Your quilting marathon is going to be huge! Do take care of your back with all that machining.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

These are so happy and Full of goodness!!! LOVE the name you gave them!!!

Linda said...

Two super-bright tops. Love your colour combinations in the blocks.

Astrid said...

Bright and cheerful, love them! Love the design too. Happy quilting weekend!

Pamela Arbour said...

I always love to see your scrap quilts. I also like the comments you leave with them. My grandmother made my first quilt. It was embroidered state flower blocks. Beautiful, but then she made three really scrappy quilts for my boy cousins. I wanted one of those so bad! LOL I never did get one. That's how long I have loved scrap quilts. Most of my life! I will have to make one of these 30-patches.

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Your bright and fun quilt tops will surely cheer a child. Thanks for sharing.

mangozz said...

These quilts are so beautiful with their bright colors! Anyone would be happy with one of these! What size do the squares finish at?

Quiltdivajulie said...

Stunning -- I am gravitating more and more to simple designs where the fabrics are the stars. You are SO good at it.

Allison said...

What a great use of all those fabrics. The uneven sized blocks are such a good idea as they can be rotated to continue the solid-print pattern without having to fuss about making alternate blocks differently!