Saturday, February 3, 2024

Red Scraps Chapter I

Overlapped Nine Patch
7.5 inch finished

All of the Rainbow Scrap Challege (RSC) blocks this week use 3.5 and 2 inch red scraps. When I make these blocks I cut strips in those sizes off of a scrap chunk.  

The Overlapped Nine Patch block also needs a 2 inch solid strip.  I've been making these off and on since around June 2022.  The block instructions are courtesy of Lynn at Klein Meisje Quilts. 

Dalarna
6 inch blocks

These blocks also include a solid. I've also been making these off and on since 2022. 

A quilt called Dalarna can be found in an issue of Quiltmania (Issue 68, 2008, #4) and was made by Mariet Soethout-Mous.  Her quilt was inspired by a child's quilt found in Asa Wettre's book Old Swedish Quilts. Now I've been inspired by Mariet's Dalarna to make my own version of an Old Swedish Quilt. 


Hummingbird Blocks
9 inch finished

The red scraps are combined with a brown/beige/taupe/cream scrap and all will have muslin backgrounds.  I was inspired by a vintage quilt to make a Hummingbird (aka Periwinkle aka Arkansas Snowflake) quilt. 

So I was able to spread a 3.5 inch width scrap and 2 inch width scrap across three different blocks. 

And sew on...



*********
CELEBRATE! (My word of the year)

Feb. 2 - I celebrated twice. I woke up at about 1:30 a.m. to get a drink of water. The sky was full of stars and a big beautiful half (or last quarter) moon.    Then later in the day a surprise box of scraps arrived at my door.  It took me about an hour to touch and sort each piece last night. Oh joy! There was even a piece of fabric with words like CELEBRATE.  The little pile of red scraps will probably show up in blocks later this month. 




 

13 comments:

Mari said...

Great blocks! That Dalarna block is really interesting and will make some very interesting quilts!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You always have such great block ideas, Cathy! Thanks for the link to how the overlapping 9 patches are made - that is an interesting block. How fun to get more scraps in the mail, too - definitely fun to celebrate!

sue s said...

I went off on a squirrel hunt for dalarna and it was really interesting. I have a friend from Finland, who sent me a Christmas ornament several years ago that I now see is a dalarna horse! Thanks for the info. I will really give it more prominence in the future! (I also appreciated the link to Lynne. She has wonderful block ideas.

Linda in UK said...

You have been busy with those scraps and chunks. The things you celebrate each day make interesting reading. We should all learn to be grateful for all the small things in life.

abelian said...

I’m wondering which quilt in Old Swedish Quilts was the inspiration for the Quiltmania article? I own that book, and couldn’t find anything similar there. I visited Dalarna years ago. The Dalarnas Museum is a wonderful folk art museum in the city of Falun. Well worth a trip north from Stockholm. There is also a historic copper mine in Falun, that operated from the 10th century to 1992. Dot in NC

Jenny said...

Celebrating stitching blocks each day, celebrating the Stars and moon, and celebrating gifts of fabric scraps, these are all nice happy things indeed.

Nann said...

A version of overlapped nine-patch was in AmP&Q years ago. I make a copy of the pattern and every so often I come across it and think, "I want to make that!"

Deb said...

Wow you are sewing up a storm! Lots of great blocks there, way to go.

mangozz said...

The Overlapped Nine Patch is an interesting block and quilt. It must seem like Christmas with all of the scrap fabric deliveries. It will surely give you a nice selection to work with and give your quilts even more interest.

Chantal said...

Lovely start with the red fabrics. Dalarna is so intriguing as a block. Enjoy the new scraps! ;^)

Pamela Arbour said...

Well, The Delarna block got my interest and like other readers, I Started chasing rabbits! LOL I would like to see the quilt that interested you. When I search for it, I mostly get pics of the Dalarna horse. I almost always get educated when I read one of your posts! All of your blocks look great. You really did have something to celebrate. Seeing the stars on a clear night can be majestic. Since I have spent most of my life in the Houston area, I don't get to see them, but I know they are there. Then you got to finish the day by going through a box of "new to you" fabrics! That sounds like a great day!

Astrid said...

Interesting blocks and I love the Dalarna one. How fun getting new scraps! Definitely a day to celebrate (which we should do more often)! Happy Sunday!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Your blocks are always so interesting and varied! I love them all!