Monday, February 12, 2024

Lil' Baskets

Baskets
4 inch finished

I started making these in Feb. 2023. I made some pink ones and that was it. This year I've made this one of my Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) projects. This month's color is red so I used some red scrap pieces that were already cut at 1.5 inch widths to make the HSTs. All of the backgrounds will be cream colored and all of the baskets will be brown.   With these baskets I now have a total of 27 toward my goal of 110. 


The baskets will be set on point and alternate with 4.5 inch squares of this red fabric with baskets. 

I was inspired by Lil' Baskets quilt in the book Scrappy Firework Quilts by Edyta Sitar. 

And sew on...


*******
CELEBRATE! (my word of the year)

Feb. 11 -- Tapioca!  I haven't had any since I was a young girl. My maternal grandmother served it a couple of times when we went to visit. I loved it.  So last time I was at the grocery store I bought a box of tapioca. I wanted to see if it tasted as good as I remembered. It does. While I was at the store I also added whipped cream to my grocery cart. So now I guess I also need to make a few other treats so the whipped cream doesn't go to waste!




 

9 comments:

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Darling little baskets. Aah tapioca that brings back some fond memories. I have not had that in ages. Enjoy your day!

Gretchen Weaver said...

The baskets are so cute! This will be a beautiful quilt! Tapioca is a favorite dessert here. I make it often when the grandsons come for a visit.

Sally Langston Warren said...

Wow, those are tiny baskets! Each square finishes at 1 inch?! Precious! You amaze me with all you get done.

Astrid said...

OOH! Your basket blocks are so tiny and cute! Tapioca, we call it manioc here. Either you grow it yourself or buy it at the market. Some eats the roots just boiled (as potatoes), or make sweets. Here's a typical Mauritian manioc sweet dish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KgpC6cVtZk

Linda Swanekamp said...

Beautiful baskets! I haven't had tapioca pudding since I was little. The Greek restaurants around here make rice pudding- baked with cinnamon. That is my favorite but I don't often have it. The red with the baskets adds a lot of spice.

Linda said...

Love those basket blocks, very pretty. Your choice of a red background with little baskets on it is brilliant. I only had tapioca once when I was a child and hated it and have never tried it since. Not keen on rice pudding either although my parents and two sisters loved it. Glad you enjoyed it though. Perhaps it will be tapioca for pudding everyday until the cream is used up?

Anonymous said...

Had to make tapioca in high school for home economics. It was terrible. Haven't had it since. You could also make bubble tea with it. Apparently that's good. The little baskets are sooo sweet.

Pamela Arbour said...

I love these. I have to let you know that I fell down the "feather bed" rabbit hole this morning. Yesterday, I was looking at the quilts you have made through the years. Very organized. I was trying to find the pattern for the feather bed quilt. I just really love that one. I finally found the year that you finished it and worked backward from there. You did put a link for the free pattern but the link was broken. Anyway, I worked through your posts where I found the beginning, I think, but that link was broken as well. They must have cleaned up their website and discarded it. I did find a free pattern from Blossom Heart Quilts. It is very similar. I don't know when I will start making this, but I really do want it. I think the background really made it come together. I don't too much care for white backgrounds. I have some quilts with white background, but they aren't my favorite.

gayle said...

Love love love those little baskets! And that setting fabric is perfect!
And now I'm thinking tapioca thoughts... I think there's a box in the pantry... hmm...