Wednesday, November 16, 2022

What's In The Box?

I've been processing a flat of 2 inch width scraps. Some scraps were given to me. Some were from leftovers. Some I sorted out of one of my boxes of stuff I swept off of the cutting mat. Some were 4 inch scraps I cut lengthwise. 

Well, anyway, what was in that box?

I started with the longest pieces and made four 6 x 9 Zip blocks.

Then if a piece was long enough to cut 8 HSTs with the Easy Angle ruler then that is what I did. I used them as the corners on 4 inch finished Indian Hatchet blocks.  I have a little box of sets of four 2.5 inch squares that I also use to make these blocks.  These were inspired by a vintage quilt. 


Then while the Easy Angle ruler was out I cut some HSTs and made Broken Dishes blocks. With this batch I now have 105 of them. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with these little 3 inch blocks. Maybe I will combine them with squares for donation quilts.  For now I just make them and they are in the Parts Department. 


Then I made 3 inch bow ties. With this batch I now have 520 of them. I'm thinking I need 900 of them for a BIG quilt. 

Then I cut squares. From L to R - stacks of single 2 inch squares; stack of pairs of 2 inch squares; stack of 4 identical 2 inch squares that will go into the Monkey Wrench workbox to be used with 3.5 inch HSTs whenever I get around to making them. 

The neutral pieces will go into the little drawer of neutral scraps. 



Anything less than a 2 inch square and greater than 1/2 inch was sewn into strips for a future Chinese Coin quilt. 

And sew on...

 

9 comments:

Elle said...

Great work busting WITB!!!!!!

The broken dishes? You could make a scrappy "Squared Away" that is in our Nov temp album over on SB group. :-)

Happy stitching!

Linda said...

My goodness, your process is amazing and makes my head spin. I admire how you see a pile of assorted scraps, immediately cut them into smaller and smaller squares, strips and then finish with Coin strips. Brilliant!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Would you like some more 2" strips or are you going to just be glad when your supply is gone? I have some I could send your way.

Anonymous said...

I’m constantly amazed at the way you churn out quilts. I agree, it makes my head spin.

gayle said...

I love all those itty Broken Dishes! And I'm really looking forward to seeing those Chinese Coin quilts come together!

Mystic Quilter said...

I think you're amazing to go with 3" bow ties, you must have a great deal of patience but the result is well worth it. I admire your organisational skills Cathy, I think I should take lessons from you to sort myself and my scraps from chaos to finished project.

mangozz said...

I love to see how you process scraps! You are so organized and get so much done. Those mini bow ties are going to make an awesome bed quilt and I am anxious to see that Chinese coin quilt come together.

Nann said...

Do you have a destination for a 900-bow-tie quilt? Maybe two smaller quilts might be easier to cope with. But, in all, I join the chorus of admirers for your processing system. (And I'm trying to adjust to the wonkiness of those hatchet blocks....)

Sandy Panagos said...

Thanks for sharing your process. It really works! It's so fun to see all you've accomplished with your scraps.