Saturday, November 5, 2022

Monkey Wrenches






10 inch finished Monkey Wrench blocks.
I started making Monkey Wrench blocks in three different sizes about mid year as I processed my scraps as well as scraps given to me by other folks.  I'll continue to make them maybe through mid year next year  as a Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) project. After that I'll make the blocks into donation quilts. 

If I don't have enough of a scrap for 4 identical HSTs then if I have two identical I make them into Broken Dishes blocks or just leave them as HSTs for the Parts Department.   


I already have quite a few blocks in all three sizes - 10, 7.5 and 5.   I figured I would make these in three different sizes because all standard sizes of scraps I process can be used in these. The 10 inch takes 4.5 inch scraps for HSTs cut with EZ Angle ruler plus 2.5 inch squares. The 7.5 inch takes 3.5 inch scraps for HSTs as well as 2 inch squares and the 5 inch blocks take 2.5 inch scraps for the HSTs and 1.5 inch squares. 

And sew on...


 

8 comments:

Sally Langston Warren said...

Great idea! These are nice blocks to work on as the scraps are sorted. I am finding all sizes of triangles as I go through my scraps. Thank you for the size info for the pieces of these various size blocks. This will be a big help and good inspiration for me!

Linda said...

Every time I see some of your Monkey Wrench blocks I’m tempted to make some myself. I know I will eventually give in to the temptation!

scraphappy said...

Those Monkey Wrench blocks are just adorable! Now I am tempted to start a new quilt.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Love the fussy cut centers on the blocks. You are an inspiration. Have to choose what size block to make. Thanks for the sizes, it really helps.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I was noticing the fussy cut centers in your blocks, too - so fun! Great idea to make them in the different sizes as well!

gayle said...

Monkey wrenches are one of my most favorite blocks! Yours are absolutely wonderful!
(When I went to pull out my collection of monkey blocks, I discovered that the Mouse Army had launched a sneak attack. There was much sadness...)

Kathy S. said...

Can't go wrong with churn dashes. That's one of my favorite blocks. I love the fun centers of yours. Quilt on...

Cathy said...

I’ve been crushing on your monkey wrenches for months. Three sizes is so smart! They’re in the “semi-finals” for my RSC’23 block choices (thanks to you). Xo