Tuesday, November 1, 2022

In A Heartbeat


I've been setting aside my red and pink scraps to make 4 inch finished heart blocks. I started making them back in March. I want to use pink and red scraps in other things so thought I should move forward on my hearts.  I will alternate dark and light blocks in the quilt. My goal is 300 hearts (150 dark and 150 light) and I am now 1/3 of the way to that goal. 

I am making this quilt for me in memory of my granddaughter Kayla who passed away unexpectedly in her sleep on January 15 of this year at the age of 17.  The cause of death was "probable cardiac arrhythmia".    

Since Kayla's death I have been reading about a lot of children and teens who have died a sudden cardiac death.  The death of 17 year old Gwen, daughter of Illinois representative Sean Casten, is the most recent one that was in the news.  Gwen Casten died in June of this year and in October the family announced cause of death as cardiac arrhythmia. - "This past June, our daughter, Gwen Casten, died of a sudden cardiac arrythmia. In layman’s terms, she was fine, and then her heart stopped," the Casten family wrote in a statement."

And sew on...
 

6 comments:

Julierose said...

Just a lovely thought to make this in her memory--beautiful hearts hugs, Julierose

stitchinpenny said...

I could send you some red, red and white or pink scraps in honor or your granddaughter. It would be 2 for 1. You get some heart scraps and I pass on some too cute to throw away scraps. Not a lot but some.

Nann said...

The hearts are lovely, Cathy. Hugs to you.

Quiltdivajulie said...

These scrappy hearts make MY heart happy. And to know they are in Kayla's memory makes them even more special.

Linda said...

Dear Cathy
Your blocks are lovely but the reason behind them is heart breaking. I hope there can be a solution to this devastating problem.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

It will be a very pretty remembrance quilt. I hadn't heard the results of Sean Caston's daughter's passing and wondered if it might be the same as Kayla's. So heartbreaking when a child dies.