Sunday, November 6, 2022

A Hand Quilted Finish

It's a finish!
68 x 86
Hand quilted with perle #8 and #12 in a variety of different colors from ecru to a light brown. 

Top was finished back in December 2019.

I used an odd assortment of fabrics - an autumn themed jelly roll I won, an autumn themed charm pack thank you gift, a few quarter yards of Thimbleberries fabric someone gave me, some swapped four patches and some civil war reproduction scraps. 



Here you can see some of the big stitch hand quilting. I was working on some of this before cataract surgery and I could not see very well to thread the needle or stitch very evenly. I finished this and cataract surgeries so am now waiting for a new pair of glasses so I can see up close to read and do hand work. 

The backing and binding. Someone gave me that binding. Guess what...there was just enough. I think I had about 3 inches left over. I had to piece the backing but I had just enough of that fabric too. I guess it was meant to be. 

And now I need to decide which quilt will go into the hoop next. I have several choices but I think I  need to piece a backing for any of those choices. 

And sew on...






 

20 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

I love your quilt! It looks so warm and cuddly, happy stitching!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Wow. A True scrappy quilt finished so well. Hope you get your vision all squared away. I have been putting mine off because I don't want to lose my close vision. I use glasses for distance.

CathieJ said...

What a beautiful scrappy quilt. I am sure that once you get your new glasses you will be happily stitching away. I am looking forward to seeing your next item in the hoop.

Julierose said...

What a lovely quilt--I really like that pattern and all those scrappy fabrics--just beautifulwork hugs, julierose

Kathy S. said...

It's stunning! Hoping you can see better soon. Your work with poor vision is gorgeous. Wait until the real fun begins! Here's to the next chapter.

Linda http://linda-koshka2quilts.blogspot.com said...

Great idea to made three different columns of fabrics, very effective. Nice that you used so many gifted and won fabrics, including backing and binding. Did you finish any of the ends of Perle threads too?

Angela said...

Great quilt! I love that you didn't let cataracts stop you.

Michelle said...

Beautiful scrappy quilt! Your big stitch quilting looks wonderful.

southernhushpuppy said...

A beautiful quilt! You have such patience to hand quilt it.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I like this pattern and the fabrics are perfect for it. It was really a big one to hand quilt.

Karrin Hurd said...

Congratulations on the finish of a lovely quilt! Great work!

Jenny said...

Your quilt certainly is an Autumn Beauty! Win, win on the binding, great to have just enough with a few inches to spare.

Ada Plouvier-Kopitopoulou said...

Beautiful quilt!! Real autumn colors, I love it!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I have admired this quilt ever since you first posted about it (and have finally ordered the pattern for myself). Your version is just wonderful with all the autumn colors. And hand quilted, too -- what a winner!

Chase Klop said...

I love this!! Congratulations on getting it finished!

Mystic Quilter said...

Love it!!! Fantastic pattern Cathy.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful scrappy quilt. Your quilting finishes it off nicely and ads great texture. You will see much better with your new glasses. I did after my cataract surgery. Gail at the Cozy Quilter

Nann said...

Love the scrappy design!

Sandy Panagos said...

Now that is what I call a cozy quilt!

Vivian said...

I always enjoy a stroll through your blog! This one hits all my buttons: a variety of fabric sources, the autumn themed, CW repro and Thimbleberries fabrics, swapped blocks --- just chocked with a bit of everything. I'm surprised I didn't already have this on my list since I usually thrill to the things Gay offers at Sentimental Stitches. Another comfy beauty and kudos for hand quilting it!