Friday, November 18, 2022

Kaleidoscope of Strings Finish!


Kaleidoscope of Strings
It's a finish!
60 x 80

Last year I emptied a big box of strings and made several different string quilt tops. 

I've made quite a few different Kaleidoscope quilts but had never made one with strings oriented lengthwise in the wedges. I used red for the background and all block corners were blues and yellows. I tried to keep with polka dots for the corners but when those ran out I added a few stripes. 

I quilted it on my DSM (Brother PQ1500SL) with swirls in a yellow and red variegated thread.  I made a scrappy binding of blues and yellows. 

If there's a next time I'll have to remember not to use strings the same color of the background! 

It's amazing that a big old pile of strings can play so nicely together in a quilt. I do not cut fabrics specifically for a string quilt. Strings around here just happen - quilt back trimmings, fabric ends, wonky cuts, odd widths given to me and so on. When my box is overflowing I get to work and make a few quilts. That's always a fun task for me. 

This will go into the donation/gift quilt pile.  When the granddaughters were younger I would get a pile of six twin/throw sized donation quilts and let them decide on four quilts to donate and they each then could pick one to keep in their "hope chest" for when they set up households. Now one granddaughter is deceased and the other has moved away and I don't see her or my grandson very often. I'm thinking this would have been a "hope chest" choice for one of them who liked Kaleidoscopes as much as I do.

The back.


And sew on...



 

16 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

She's a lovely quilt!

Nann said...

Wonderful! (And thanks for including the links to the related posts so we can see the evolution....I've just made a note of your string "Let's Party" kaleido-sort of.)

Michelle said...

Amazing! Congrats on this scrappy finish!

Jenny said...

Another wonderful scrappy quilt, well done!

Mystic Quilter said...

Splendid finish Cathy - congratulations!

Linda said...

Super quilt finish, Cathy. Background fabric is great. A lovely donation quilt. Isn’t it amazing the gems you can create from scraps?

mangozz said...

I love this quilt even more now that it's been quilted! And since I haven't started mine yet, I know for sure that the background will be red. I think I remember that you wash the quilts before gifting/donating. So if and when you do, can you let me know if you have trouble with the red bleeding? Do you use color catchers? Thanks.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

This quilt grabs my heart. I love the red and punches of yellow. You knocked this one out of the park.

Gudrun said...

It is bright and pretty. I admire how well you do with such bright colours.

JustGail said...

Very cool, I love those arrows scattered about.

Rose Marie said...

Wow .... this is a gorgeous quilt!!

gayle said...

Wow! (And now I'm filing away another of your great ideas. Vertical strings, eh?)

Bonnie said...

My brain plans lots of string quilts but in reality I've only made a few. I have one in the works now but it may be a year or more before I finish it. Do you sew your strings onto foundations? This one is really great.

Linda Swanekamp said...

It is a wonderful happy quilt. You combined strings with great colors and composition.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

This is a beauty!!! I like the way you used the long strings - it gives it a whole new look!!!

Quiltdivajulie said...

What a splendid scrappy quilt! But oh, I can hear the heartache in your paragraph about it becoming a donation quilt rather than being chosen as a hope chest quilt.