Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Where Was I?


There's nothing like a dentist appointment to whisk you right off the grief couch and plop you right into reality.  I was going to cancel my 8:00 a.m. appointment for this morning. I don't feel like going to the dentist on the best of days. Well, I didn't cancel. I went.  If I didn't go today I probably would not reschedule for quite some time. 

When I got there and checked in I went to take off my jacket. Well, the zipper tab was stuck in the middle with my jacket unzipped above and below the tab. For Pete's Sake! I was stuck in my coat. I fiddled around with it for a few minutes but zipper tab would not budge. So, in front of receptionists and a couple of folks in the waiting room I had to kind of wiggle around in my jacket in order to get my arms out of it so I could pull it over my head. Wiggle, wiggle. That's the most exercise I've had in a few weeks.  I was hoping I would not also pull my shirt over my head when I pulled my jacket off. Sheesh. I didn't bother to put my coat back on when I left. I had no wiggles left in me. Thank goodness it was a nice warm 40 degrees today. 

When I got home I decided to go into the sewing room. That was kind of overwhelming because most of my sewing projects are organized in my mind. My mind kind of went control -alt -delete when Kayla, my granddaughter, passed away.  I found these Jacob's Ladder blocks on the ironing board. So I ironed them. 

And then I counted how many blocks I have. That would be 41. I want 63 blocks.  I started making these in order to use a lot of cream scraps left over after making a Jack's Chain quilt as well as a lot of brown scraps.  Now most of those cream scraps are gone so I will look through chunks and yardage for some cream pieces  to make 22 more nine inch (finished) blocks. 

Today I ironed and counted (and wiggled). Moving forward. 

And speaking of Jacob...here's Kayla and her cousins Jacob and Isabelle on Thanksgiving 2013. 

Thank you for the cards, prayers, positive thoughts and condolences. They provided a comfort and warmth every bit as real as a loving mother's arms. I tried to respond individually to everyone who left comments; however, some of you are "no--reply" bloggers. I also saw many comments from others who have lost loved ones at a young age and for that I offer my condolences. 

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart - Helen Keller.
 

10 comments:

gayle said...

I've been stuck inside a coat a time or two, too. Wiggling, gyrating, and cussing ensued.
It's good you have your piecing projects waiting for you - it's a good source of solace as you find your traction again.

Linda Swanekamp said...

There is a Seinfeld episode about George's stuck zipper which get him to miss his counseling appt. As usual, it is funny when someone else goes through it, not you. Good for you getting the iron going. Lovely photo of your grandchildren.

Linda said...

Glad you kept your appointment, another little milestone achieved. I can imagine how embarrassed you felt trying to get out of your coat. Beautiful photo.

Anonymous said...

My heart breaks for your family's loss of the "sunshine girl". I just finished reading your beautiful tribute.

I totally understand your need for space.

Thank you for having the courage to come out from under the covers.

Looking forward to your future posts.

I am a no blogger, so I will sign as Nan Hohenstein, Kentucky.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh my gosh!!! I am proud that you wiggled out - I would have had a panic attack and had to reschedule and run and hide!! But you got your exercise for the day.. go you!
Love your Jacobs ladder blocks - they are pretty.
and what a sweet photo. Memories...

hugs my friend!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Step one, go to dentist. Step two, practice your escape routine. Step three, fire up the iron. Step four, cry another bucket of tears. Step five, try to eat and sleep. Wake up to face another list of tasks tomorrow (remembering all the while that we're here sending you quilty hugs, Cathy!)

Quiltdivajulie said...

Cathy - the post you shared about Kayla was one of the most beautifully written tributes I think I've ever read. I am SO SO SO sorry for your loss but I am happy that you've decided your goofball will be with you in spirit for ever. Happy that you made it back into the studio and VERY happy you made it OUT of your stuck-zippered jacket!

Nann said...

Oh, those separating zippers! Fortunately you could wiggle out of your coat. I'm afraid I'd just jiggle. Quilt designs abound and you can hear Kayla saying, "Oh, Grandma, what are you making next?"

mangozz said...

Jacob's Ladder is one of my favorite quilt designs and one that I go back to again and again. Your blocks are looking great! I love it when you can make a great quilt out of scraps. It is very satisfying to me. I'm glad that you are starting to get back to a more "normal to you" routine. It's nice hearing from you again.

QuiltGranma said...

scrappy Jacob's Ladder have such lovely visual interest! On my SOMEDAY quilt list!