Monday, February 28, 2022

Churning Through Plaids

Churn Dash Variation Top
40.5 x 63

For another donation quilt.

I mentioned a few days ago that someone gave me some homespun and plaid fabrics. I had a few of my own too. I set aside most of the reds and blues for a Quilt of Valor quilt to make later. For this one I used most of the brown and green plaids to make 13.5 inch (finished) Churn Dash blocks. 

In January I started out with the intention of using a pile of brown scrap chunks and I still had those chunks laying out so I added in a few brown scraps for backgrounds for the green plaid Churn Dashes and then I added in some green scraps for backgrounds for the brown plaid Churn Dashes. (Whew, that's a sentence! Hope you didn't get lost in there).

Then since I had aqua scraps out because aqua was the Rainbow Scrap Challenge color for February I added in a bit of cheer in each block with some aqua scraps. 

It warmed up a bit yesterday and most of the ice has now melted so I'm back to clothesline photos even if the sun is not at the right spot for them. 

And sew on...

 

10 comments:

Linda said...

What a great quilt top. The pops of aqua really bring the blocks to life. I especially like the middle one in the bottom row. The green and midnight blue plaid contrasts so nicely with the aqua fabric. Another colourful flimsy for your donation cache. Sew on, friend.

Astrid Reflux said...

what a cool idea, those pops of aqua amongst the earthier browns and greens. Really makes a difference! I admire your color sense.

Nann said...

The aqua adds a great touch!

Linda Swanekamp said...

I love the way you added the aqua strips at the top and bottom- it gives the quilt such a fresh look. Good use of plaid and homespuns- two of my least favorite fabric types.

Quilting Babcia said...

That is one gorgeous top, the aqua pieces really make the whole quilt sparkle!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

The aqua brightened the top and makes the secondary pattern where blocks meet more visible too. Plaids just speak comfort to me. Maybe that's because I wear plaid flannel quilts all winter.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Love the pops of aqua and how they brighten up the quilt top. Well done!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Way to work in the RSC Color of the Month, Cathy!! :o))

audrey said...

That aqua with the browns! And the plaids are so sweet. Loving this.:)

QuiltGranma said...

That aqua sure adds sparkle to the quilt!