Thursday, February 24, 2022

Leftovers

 

I've had some 2.5 inch scraps left over, I think, from making a Sweet Happy Block top back in January.  For the last couple of years I've been trying to make leftover scraps into blocks instead of throwing them into bins by width size like I used to do. So I have some blocks in mind for almost every size of scrap I have left over from other projects. With 2.5 inch scraps (and 3.5 inch) if the piece is long enough for four 2.5 x 3.5 pieces I cut those and put them into a project box for matching up with other cut pieces to make these Eight Patch blocks. 

So with my Sweet Happy Block leftovers I cut pieces and matched them up with previously cut pieces in the project box to make a few Eight Patch Blocks. They go back into the box and when I have 49 of them I'll make a little donation quilt top. 

If I don't have enough 2.5 inch scrap left over but I have enough scrap left for four HSTs then I make Bear Paw blocks. I have a little drawer of neutral scraps I use  for the backgrounds and I have a little box with some 4.5 inch squares I use to finish off the blocks. 

I will probably make these all year long with left overs and at year end see how many donation quilts I can make with various layouts. 

And finally, if I have enough of the leftover 2.5 inch scrap for a square then a square gets cut and put in my Squares box that isn't square. And if there is not enough for a square but enough for a 1.5 x 2.5 inch rectangle then that gets cut and put into a Lego Quilt project box. 

And sew it goes...











5 comments:

smithcindyk said...

That is so smart! I should probably try to do some of that.

gayle said...

I love those sassy bear paws!
I try to use your process, but I admit I'm way ahead in the cutting of pieces and way behind in the sewing of blocks...

Sharon Kwilter said...

Those are going to be fun, colorful quilts!

Linda said...

Love your Bear Paw blocks. Glad you are back to sewing up little leftovers.

The Joyful Quilter said...

You do such a good job with processing your fabric scraps, Cathy, and I just LOVE all of your colorful scrap blocks!!