Thursday, February 3, 2022

Plan B


Most of Kayla's friends are having a difficult time dealing with her death. Three of them are new friends she met when school started in September. They have made a memorial page for her on Facebook but I'm not on Facebook so have not seen it. I just saw their grief at the visitation and Celebration of Life service.  Another girl who could not stop sobbing at both the visitation and service  has been her friend since Junior High. She goes to a different alternative high school but they have never lost touch. I saw a boy walk into the visitation with crutches. He must either have cerebral palsy or muscular dystrophy. He stood by himself at the coffin and talked to Kayla for the longest time. I couldn't hear what he said but I saw his lips moving. My husband asked him his name and we found it in the guest book. He said he had been friends with Kayla since Junior High and the first year of high school but parted ways when she went to a different school. He was alone again at the Celebration of Life service. He had no coat or hat and it was a very cold day.   All of these kids told us that Kayla had helped them through some troubles.  My other granddaughter is only five weeks older than Kayla.  They have been best friends since birth. 

I decided I wanted to make a quilt for these six kids. Maybe they could wrap up and think of Kayla when troubled and possibly find a little comfort. I am also going to make some little stuffed hearts they can carry in their pockets if they so choose - kind of like a worry stone, prayer stone, memorial stone. 

Except for a few collections of fabric most of my stash is in chunks or smaller scraps. I did not feel like thinking much about what fabric to use to make the quilts so for the first time in my life on January 29th I ordered a couple of bolts of fabric thinking I would make six Friendship Star quilts all the same with one fabric for the background and one for the Stars.   Well, then yesterday I felt like doing some sewing; however, I only felt like making the Friendship Star quilts. Yesterday I still had not even received notification that my fabric had been shipped.  What to do?? What to do??

I dug around in my pile of solids I use for backgrounds and found a big piece of black solid I didn't even know I had. Kayla was usually dressed in black- the goth look. Ok. Maybe I'll use that.  As I mentioned previously Kayla spread sunshine all over the place so I picked up some yellow chunks of fabric thinking I would make yellow stars on a black background. But I was not sure I had enough black or yellow for six quilts so I decided to start by making three quilts the same for her latest group of friends with the memorial page.  Then I was not sure I had enough black for three quilts so decided to stretch it a little with a third fabric and a Friendship Star variation. What to use for a third fabric?? I had a few rainbow-ish fabrics sitting around in a little pile that I have been collecting for a donation quilt. Who doesn't love a rainbow? I searched around and found quite a few multicolored rainbow-ish fabrics to add to that little pile. And Kayla is somewhere over the rainbow so...I sewed.  I'm making 12 inch (finished) blocks and will use 30 blocks in each quilt. 

I'm not sure I have enough solid black for three quilts but that is easy enough to come by. Not sure I have enough rainbows but I've made a lot of blocks and I still have a little pile of rainbows.  This will keep me busy until my fabric order ships. Then I will make the other three quilts as I originally intended. Or maybe I'll change my mind and use the bolts of fabric for backings. 

I am just thankful my grandmother taught me to sew at an early age. It is one way I have found to deal with worry, troubles and grief over the years. Reading and gardening work pretty well too. 

Granddaughters Kayla and Isabelle learning to sew seams on their little Janomes in 2014 at age 10.  Grandma spent most of her time threading the sewing machine needles. 



 

32 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

Sunshine and rainbows covering their grief (black) will be perfect for Kayla's friends and cousin. She surely impacted a lot of lives with her positive attitude, and your thoughtful gifts will be truly appreciated by her special friends. God bless you my friend!

Julierose said...

What a lovely, thoughtful idea to wrap her friends in some quilty comfort at this most difficult time...quilting itself is comforting
I love the bright stars----my prayers go out to you all hugs, Julierose

gayle said...

I've always believed that a quilt is a hug made of fabric. These quilts will be a perfect hug.

audrey said...

This feels like such a good idea Cathy, for them and for you. Hugs.:)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

These blocks are so You, Cathy - scrappy sunshine and rainbows connected by the black. I know these kids will feel wrapped in your love and caring!

mangozz said...

What a perfect gift for Kayla's friends, and good motivation for you to keep sewing too.

mangozz said...

I hope you didn't order the fabric from Missouri Star. If so, then you won't see it for quite awhile. They have gotten so bad with shipping.

Chantal said...

I didn't know about your loss in January. I'm so sorry. My deepest condolences. Sending prayers and hugs. Thank goodness for sewing. It does help, doesn't it? You have the best idea to make quilts for her friends. Because you taught her how to sew, I'm sure she would have done some quilts for them at one point or another. If you need more rainbow fabric, just let me know. I'd be happy to help. Hugs. 💖

Libby in TN said...

Perfect combination of sunshine and rainbows. Such a thoughtful act!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Let me know if you need more rainbow scraps for the quilts for Kayla's friends, Cathy. I'm sure I could find some around here! What size pieces do you need?

Gretchen Weaver said...

What a great idea, a lovely gift for Kayla's friends, therapy and healing for you. Blessings!

Nancy said...

I think it's wonderful that you're making quilts for Kayla's friends. I'm sure they will treasure them for years and years, and remember Kayla and her grandmother when they do.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Your plan is marvelous. I hope stitching your love into these quilts comforts you and also brings comfort to Kayla’s friends

sue s said...

I think you've got a good Plan B here, and great colors for them. Hopefully it will help her friends to have these for memories. And it will help you while making them.

Linda said...

What a lovely idea to make quilts for Kayla’s close friends. Friendship stars are a perfect choice. Sewing them will be therapeutic for you. Thinking of you.

Lesley Gilbert said...

I rarely comment but always read your posts. It's been interesting to read how you have been coping with your present situation and hopefully, the sewing of these 6 quilts will give you some peace in your healing process. Sending ((hugs)) from the UK <3

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a wonderful way to honor their friendship and comfort them at the same time. These quilts will bring sweet memories to each of the recipients. And hopefully a little healing to your heart. You have such a big heart .... Hugs

Janice said...

Cathy No one has to guess where Kayla got her caring nature. The quilts you have started are beautiful I have loved your color pallet and creativity since finding your blog and these star blocks and fabric are so cheerful. Have some of those fabrics in my stash if you need more please let me know would send them in a heartbeat.
Janice

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Friendship star is a perfect quilt block to use for the friends quilts.

KB from Texas said...

The quilts are a wonderful way to honor Kayla and help her friends(and you) with the grief. The little hearts are a special thing that a grandmother who sews would think of during this time. I pray you will get to a place where you feel less empty and will be able to truly celebrate Kayla's life.

Jennifer said...

i'm glad you're sewing again! something about that repetitious, even tedious motion can be so soothing in difficult times. I'm so, so sorry to hear about the sudden and unexpected loss of your granddaughter. i can't even imagine! 11 years ago my 3 children were in a severe car accident. it's truly a miracle that they weren't all killed- and that was difficult, too, but we were spared the worst horror. i didn't know you had a grandchild living with you... i lost my mother 30+ years ago, again- unexpectedly, suddenly and tragically. death is never easy, but being able to at least prepare (mentally) for it can be so helpful. not saying good bye is (was) really hard. having a sense of closure can really help in the healing and processing of a death of a loved one.
so many scattered thoughts in this paragraph! but i wanted to let you know i'f thinking of you. do you need some rainbowy fabric? I'm sure i have some to share! just let me know...

Cindy said...

I have just read about the loss of your granddaughter. I am so sorry. Prayers for you and your family. I have followed your blog for several years. I use to read blogs a lot but then I started joining a lot of Facebook quilting groups so I spend time there reading all the post but I make it a point to come visit your blog ever so often to see all your beautiful sewing. You have inspired me so many times. Just from reading your blog you seem like you are a strong woman, have great work ethics, and great values of life. I know your grief is hard now but I think you writing about your granddaughter on your blog will help not only you but others that may be going through something similar. I love love your blog and my prayers are with you and your family

Sandy Panagos said...

What a precious way to bless your grand-daughter's friends. They will never forget her. Or you.

Phyllis in Iowa said...

I am so sorry that you and your family must struggle through losing a grandchild.
I have yardage of several black fabrics. We could meet somewhere for the exchange.

MissPat said...

Cathy, these quilts will be just right for Kayla's friends. I have lots of bright rainbow colors, like those you've used and would be happy to send some to you for the quilts.
Pat

Pamela Arbour said...

That is such a sweet and fabulous idea. That is also a great idea to make them all the same as much as possible. That would make them more special and give those friends an extra special bond. I know you are hurting. I wish I could give you a big hug. It is a very hard road but I know God will walk with you to the other side of this.

JCH said...

What a beautiful, unselfish idea. I'm sure both you and the 'kids' will receive much healing from the quilts.

scraphappy said...

What a blessing to be able to find solace in your sewing. Regardless of how the quilts come together, the process of planning and sewing is a positive step and gives you time to grieve.

Ann said...

A great idea to make quilts for Kayla’s friends to wrap up in and comfort them. Making the quilts will comfort you. So much love shared here.

QuiltGranma said...

Such a wonderful gift you are making them! Healing for both you and them! Fill the time making these with prayers for these kids, full of love and peace.

Kathleen said...

Cathy, this is a beautiful idea. So right in so many ways. So healing.
You'll need a lot of backing fabric. Watch your mailbox .... :)

Cindy said...

What a wonderful thing to do for her friends!!!! And also a great way to honor your precious Kayla! Blessings & hugs to you!

And I can send happy fabrics if you need more!