Saturday, February 12, 2022

Red Scraps Part III

I've had a bunch of Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) blocks laying on the end of my ironing board since mid January. I decided I might as well get them ironed and blog about them so I can put them away. 

I am making 12 inch Slabs With Heart for donation quilts.  

With strings I'm making Wonky Log Cabin blocks with 4 inch novelty centers on a black background. These are also 12 inches (finished) and are for donation quilts. 

I have the centers ready for the rest of the year. These were from several 4 inch square swaps I participated in over the years. 

I call these blocks Small Change. They finish at six inches and use 1.5 x 2.5 inch scraps. 

These are Rail Blocks that finish at 5 inches. I use 1.5 x 5.5 inch scraps to make them. Yep, for donation quilts.

I also sewed crumbs into a big long strip about 5 inches wide. I will cut and trim to 4.5 inch squares and make some flower blocks. I just have not gotten around to it yet. 

I also had started cutting red scraps into 1.5 x 2.5 pieces for Lynn's Lego blocks. I will just accumulate pieces until I get a big pile and then make a few more blocks. This is a slow going quilt. It sure takes a lot of time to cut up scraps. 

If I have 2.5 or 3.5 inch scraps that I can cut into at least four 2.5 x 3.5 inch pieces then that is what I cut. I also accumulate these pieces until I get enough contrasting pieces to make blocks like you see on the left. Guess these are Eight Patch blocks and for another donation quilt. 

If I have 2.5 inch scraps and I can get four 2.5 inch squares then I cut those and put that pile (on the right) aside to make into Indian Hatchet blocks. Otherwise I just cut 2.5 inch squares to put into my squares bin (those on the left). 

I was in the middle of cutting more red scraps but lost track of what I was doing when life was suddenly interrupted so I've put those red scraps away for now and will dig into the aqua bin when I get a chance. 


 

12 comments:

scraphappy said...

Glad you were able to clear out the red. Lots of great progress this week.

Beth in NH said...

You have been in my thoughts. May the healing power of quilting ease your days. Really enjoy seeing all that you do to empty your scraps using the rainbow challenge.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

I love how you have a plan for even the smallest bits of fabric!!

Linda said...

A lot of red projects on the go. Well done for being able to go back to your ironing board to clear up your RSC reds. That wouldn’t have been easy to do. 🌻

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW much scrappiness, Cathy!! Glad you've gotten the red cleaned up. Now you can work on the AQUA/TEAL for February. Contrary to what my fabric stash says, it's one of my favorite colors! Looking forward to seeing the scrappy bits you will use.

gayle said...

I'm also a big fan of cutting up scraps into usable bits as I go along. Sometimes I'm not as diligent about it as I should be, but it really is easier to move projects along if I've got lots of pieces cut ahead! You've got some gorgeous donation quilts in the pipeline!

sue s said...

I'm glad to see you doing some "busy work" in the studio. RSC is perfect for this; you don't have to think too hard. You continue to be in my thoughts.

Cathy said...

Lots of red projects going on to keep you busy. So glad you’re feeling up to doing some sewing therapy. xo

QuiltGranma said...

That is a lot of different red fabric in your stash. Great using it up! or using a whole bunch of it anyway.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Beautiful assortment of reds

Sandy Panagos said...

What fun projects. SO many great fabrics.

Kathleen said...

It is so nice to see you sewing. i hope it assuages some of the pain you have been going through. i was deeply touched by your plan to make quilts for the friends of your granddaughter. Tomorrow, the delivery man may drop by your house with a box that I hope will be useful. I just wanted to help with that project.
Kathleen from the Sunshine Quilt Guild.