Monday, February 7, 2022

And Then There Were 90 Friendship Stars

 




I don't listen to music or watch TV while sewing. I like the silence. The hum of the sewing machine, rhythm of the needle and colors and patterns of fabric passing by are both mesmerizing and soothing and clears the mind. Sometimes, however; a few of the marbles rolling around in the brain bump together and spark a thought which sparks another and before I know it a lyrical essay has been written in my mind. 

I was thinking of how I made all of these blocks and I still have not received the fabric I actually ordered to make these blocks- 2 fabrics so blocks in all these quilts for my granddaughter's grieving friends would be all the same and I wouldn't have to think about which fabrics to use from my stash. I have blocks for three out of five quilts made and my fabric order still has not arrived. I was thinking about how it is so easy to expect instant gratification and to throw patience out the door. 

I started making my own clothes back in high school. I attended Catholic school before that and wore a uniform so didn't have any school clothes. It cost too much money to go to Catholic High School so I had to go to public high school. I was the oldest of five and we lived with our Dad who didn't really think we needed many clothes - maybe a nice dress or two for Sunday Mass. 

Back then, before big box stores, it was cheaper to make clothes than to buy them. My paternal grandmother who lived at a distance taught me to sew. The first piece of clothing I made was an aqua broadcloth V-neck jumper with lining and zipper. I don't know how many times I had to model the darned thing that summer after sixth grade. Every time a friend or relative came over to visit grandma bragged about my jumper and that led to me modeling it. For years afterwards I was known to grandma's friends and my older relatives I didn't see very often as "the one who sews". 

 I grew up before credit cards and the internet. I babysat for a number of families from the ages of 13-16. Most of that money went into a passbook savings account - saving for a car or college or a few Christmas presents for my siblings. I had a job working a soda fountain in the summer and weekends when I was 15 and later when I was 16 I worked evenings, holidays and weekends and summers at the pie counter of a busy cafeteria.  I took my paycheck straight to the bank and put most of it right into the savings account. I had to take my passbook with me - a little blue book in a plastic folder - and the teller would hand write in the passbook the amount to added (or subtracted) from my total. I learned to count my money once it was in hand to make sure it totaled the amount subtracted from my passbook.  One paycheck was not usually enough to buy myself any fabric to make a dress or skirt (at that time girls wore dresses or skirts at least knee length to public high school, not pants, believe it or not) so I had to save up for my fabric. I usually bought fabric at the J.C. Penney store. (I later bought my record albums there too). I especially remember the brown plaid wool I bought to make a drindl skirt with buttons down the front. I was so proud of the way I matched the plaid in the seams and of the buttonholes I made for the first time. I used repurposed buttons. And I also saved up to buy some brown yarn to knit a sweater to match. That was the first and last piece of clothing I knit. I found crochet to be a lot easier. 

So now I've kind of come full circle. With retirement I don't have much money for fabric and I sometimes have to wait for it when I do buy it. In the meantime I can make do and have not come to expect instant gratification. My fabric will be here when it will be here. 


 

19 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

The blocks are looking so bright and happy! I remember saving my earned money in a savings account also. My first major purchase was my old Elna sewing machine. I also remember girls wearing dresses or skirts to school. Nylons did nothing to keep legs warm. Yes, it's too easy to buy new fabric for a project instead of using what we have at home. Happy stitching!

Beth in NH said...

Wow so many memories came flooding back. Sewing clothes, wearing dresses, making do. Our scrap stash helps now. But organizing an huge abundance of scraps is a challenge. The fabric will come and you will have fun with something new.

Libby in TN said...

Similar memories for me (except the Catholic school). Just recently I remembered the pink poodle capris I made all by myself, cut out on the dining room table. My mother could stretch a nickel further than anyone and I'm thankful I inherited that trait.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

first, I am loving those blocks, and man you stitch quick.
What fun memories. I remember as a very little girl going with my grandma to the pick and save to choose the fabrics I wanted her to make clothes for me . I was allergic to anything but cotton, so I was a challenge to sew and buy clothes for ;-) Great memories

Deb E said...

Love those blocks! Your post brought back memories for me, too! I remember my mom flying from Denver to Sacramento to be Matron of Honor at her sisters wedding in 1968 - all dressed up in skirt and jacket, filmy scarf, gloves on hands. I didn't wear pants to school until high school. When I spent a year as a exchange student to Australia (Jan 73 to Jan 74) we wore uniforms to school, including wool jacket & skirt (no pants allowed), white shirt and school tie, black socks and leather shoes. I left the US a shy girl and returned home a year later wearing a plaid wool suit (perfectly matched the directional fabric) I'd sewn myself in a sewing class at school. When the teacher asked why I was taking the class as I obviously knew how to sew (everyone else's project was simple) I replied that it WAS an easy class in comparison to the rest & with all the speeches I was giving in the community groups, I needed easy! Deb

Nann said...

I think your scrappy rainbow Friendship Stars are perfect for Kayla's friends. When the two bolts (TWO BOLTS??) arrive you can use that fabric on the back. Thanks for your sewing heritage story -- since we're the same age I can picture that v-neck jumper with its 20" back zipper.

Apparently there's a new wave of sewists who have to learn for themselves because their mothers (=the generation after us) didn't learn from their mothers (=those of our age who didn't sew).

Linda said...

Your Friendship stars are coming along beautifully. I loved how your mind was working as you sewed away. As you say, your ordered fabric will come all in good time and in the meantime you will plug on making stars.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I prefer to stitch in quiet as well and my mind does exactly the same thing you are describing. Wandering from the present to the past and all points in between, including a lot of "what if" regarding the future.

I absolutely love your friendship stars! So bright and colorful and all from the goodness of your heart/stash. (and yes, the order will arrive at some point - I have three that have taken weeks to travel from Point A to a destination unknown before making their way someday to our house).

sue s said...

I, too, had to sew my clothes. I wore dresses until high school and I still remember the fun I had in Home Ec. The teacher let us have music blaring. But now, I tend to listen to quiet podcasts or You tubes or else have silence. You are really moving on this project; that's probably why it seems so slow! My fabric deliveries seem to be coming faster again.

Carol E. said...

Loving your plan B. You have shared your loving spirit with the blog world and will do so for the grieving kids as well. Can we get that boy a jacket and hat? I would bankroll that if he needs it. Maybe he was just too grief stricken to think of putting his jacket on?

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

You are making great progress on the blocks. It sounds like the bolts will be backing fabric. With the quilts all being a little different than each other, you could put them in gift bags and let the friends each choose a bag. Then you wouldn't have to decide who gets which one.
I sewed all of my own clothes too and we finally got permission to wear blue jeans in my sophomore year. I went to high school in a little town and about half of us rode school buses in from the farm country. 90% of the time we wore skirts though, mid calf length and bobby socks and saddle shoes. I think I'm a little older than you.

Linda Swanekamp said...

My mother sewed clothes for my sister and I to save money. We did not get to choose the pattern or fabric. She made them the same. I never really learned to make clothes because I did not know how to make a pattern fit. Now, I wish I knew how to make clothes because I love knit dresses and tunics and can't buy them anywhere. Not sure anyone teaches it. I love to sew quilts. I remember working and saving until I could afford something. I love your story today.

Cathy said...

I love your scrappy friendship stars and I’m sure Kayla’s friends will too. I remember the days of having to wear dresses. I think I was a sophomore in high school before we were allowed to wear pants. And I loved to sew clothes for myself - dresses, bikinis, tops, formals, etc. and even into the eighties I sewed for my kids and DH. We bought fabric at JCPenney’s, too, and sometimes TG&Y or House of Fabrics.

bookworm said...

I love these bright cheery Friendship Stars. I also started sewing my own clothes in high school. My mom would make us clothes when my sister and I were young. I made a dirndl skirt for 4H, then made a plaid dress with long puff sleeves and lace on pintucks and a zipper. So ambitious! I stopped sewing clothes when I started more quilt making and my girls weren’t interested in having me sew for them! Thanks for sharing your stories!

The Joyful Quilter said...

These seem perfect for the purpose, Cathy. Bonus points for using some of your fabric scraps!!!

Laura said...

I don't mind sewing in silence, either, and I do visit memory lane while sewing. It seems we both attended Catholic schools and wore uniforms. I did go to public high school because we lacked the money to finish private school. I sewed my own clothes (mostly self-taught), babysat, and had a blue savings book as well. :)

MissPat said...

I can identify with so many of your memories, except for Catholic School. I was raised Catholic, but of the attend Easter and Christmas, First Communion and Confirmation kind, but not much in between, The funny thing was, my father was the Catholic, but never attended, while my mother was the parent who took us when we went. I also sewed my own clothes through high school and college, including my wedding dress (nothing fancy) and the bridesmaid's dresses. Later I took a tailoring class and made my first husband a sport coat which he actually wore.
Pat

Candra said...

I 💗 your memories.
It's amazing what our stashes have waiting for us. God knew what you needed and provided it before you knew you needed it. He's good to us like thst.
Hugs and prayers for you, dear friend.

Pamela Arbour said...

I am sorry for responding late to this one. Kayla's friends are really going to love and appreciate those quilts. I think it is equally as nice that they will be the same. It will bring a sort of unity with them.

We must be close to the same age. I had forgotten about the bank passbook! I also remember when it was cheaper to make your own clothes. Not so much today.