Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Wednesday Wandering - In Search of Green







Oh, deer!! 


Reading before it is banned.


Aha! Some green!  A Hellebore patch! I'll bet if I check back in a week or so there will be some blooms there. Stay tuned!

Those Rascally Rabbits!! 

Someone or something has been pruning my roses and...

...pruning my Azaleas! 

Flamingoes laying down on the job. They usually mark new plants or stake plants. But they don't keep deer, rabbits or raccoons away. 

Some winter sown seeds. A few weeks ago they had about six inches of snow and ice on top of them. 

The deck still contains an iceberg. The snow and ice was up over the arms of the chairs...

...but the iceberg is slowly melting. 

Back inside and in a corner of my sewing space an orchid blooms have been opening since late February. 

I've had the orchid for a long time and it blooms around the same time every year just when a touch of Spring is needed. 

I took a hardwood cutting of Pineapple Sage last fall and now it is blooming. Pineapple Sage is not hardy here so I bring it into the sewing space every year and take it out in late Spring. I like to keep it near a garden path because a slight brush against the leaves releases the strong scent of pineapple. Now I have two plants of it! 

I love plants and flowers that are scented. Heliotrope is another one of those old fashioned plants with a vanilla scent. Heliotrope is not hardy either so it also comes into the sewing space for the winter. I started four plants from seeds many years ago and these usually go out on the deck in the summer. 

 

12 comments:

Nann said...

What a lovely midweek tour! The orchid is wonderful. (We are missing the pandemic-cancelled orchid show at Chicago Botanic Gardens this year.)

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I love the winter nature photos. In a couple more days I think our snow will be gone and I should be able to see the green Coral Bell leaves. Also Periwinkle Vinca will be green and probably even bloom after a few sunny days. It is fun to see the transition of seasons.

MissPat said...

I haven't toured the back yard yet, even though the snow is mostly gone. Maybe next week when it's going up to 50+ for a few days. I have a lot of hellebores, old-fashioned varieties, not the newer hybrids. I have an orchid that is just opening and several others have buds. And two of the Thanksgiving cacti are putting out a second flush of buds. I gave the geraniums in the dining room window their first feed of liquid fertilizer. Spring is slowly making itself known.
Pat

Laura said...

Enjoyed the garden tour, Cathy! I still have snow, too, but it is melting; hoping for some spring soon! :)

Cathy said...

Thank you for the first spring “fix” of my year! I can’t wait to see all your yard/garden adventures this year.

Linda said...

Beautiful photos, Cathy. Don’t know how you cope with all that snow- the small amount we’ve had here in the UK is more than enough for me! Your orchid is lovely, they are such fabulous plants.

cityquilter grace said...

lovely orchids...that's something you don't hardly see in maine, people growing orchids...went on a road trip yesterday and saw plenty of open fields that are greening up....hoping winter is done with us...

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Snow and things that are not green have their own special beauty! But Spring is on its way. Your orchids look amazing!

Susie H said...

Love your plant pictures. I'll have to go out and check my Hellebore plant. Maybe I'm blooming and don't even know it! Ha! My orchid must be the same type as yours as they are the same colors. Mine isn't blooming right now ....

Vivian said...

I hear you about looking for green! I was in our community garden this week for the first time in this new gardening year. I saw daffodil already starting to pop up out of the ground so Spring is most definitely here or close! Very cool to see you winter sowed! I've done it in the past with mixed success but was too distracted to really organize myself to get them started this past winter. Looks like you'll have a bumper crop this year!

O'Quilts said...

Lovely post...happy post...thank you

QuiltGranma said...

Deer are so good at pruning the roses, and other favorites of theirs as well.