Friday, March 19, 2021

Little Quilts and Big Churn Dashes


Two finishes! 
Each 40.5 x 60

The Churn Dash blocks finish at 13.5 inches.

I used a wide variety of scrap chunks. 

These blocks are quick and easy to make so I think for awhile I'll make this my new quilt block for kid sized donation quilts. 

Last year I just made blocks with no layout in mind and I had not given any thought as to whether or not the blocks would play nicely together.  In December of last year I divided the blocks into two piles -- one kind of hot and the other kind of cold - and assembled the tops. 


I pieced the backs with some backing leftovers and some pieces of large bright plaids. 
For several months I've been so afraid to free motion quilt (FMQ) anything because my sewing machine would need to go in for maintenance almost every single time I did FMQ. Well, these were the first two I quilted on my new machine and I was in heaven instead of on pins and needles. 

I quilted spirals. 


 These will be donated to Quilts Beyond Borders (QBB) - a charity providing quilts to children in underserved areas of the world. A visit to the QBB blog will give you a glimpse of some colorful quilts as well as describe some of the charities that received quilts. 

In the last year I have mostly worked on twin sized quilts for donation and gifts using up swapped blocks and moving forward UFOs but I hope to get back to some of these smaller quilts this year. I have a lot of orphan blocks and pieces in the Parts Department. 

Oh, I almost forgot to mention that the Fat Quarter Shop sponsors a Fat Quarter Challenge. Send in a quilt for an entry to the monthly drawing for a $25 gift certificate. 

I received my second shot of covid vaccine Wednesday and slept all day yesterday under a pile of quilts because I had the same side effects as I did after the first dose - chills and fatigue and a sore arm. Today is a new day!!


20 comments:

Sherrill said...

Oooo, I love these two beauties!! I wish I could quilt my own but alas that will never happen. I took DSM and longarm classes years ago (our library even has a longarm you can rent time on) but never felt like I could do a quilt without messing it up. Love your big churn dash blocks--I'm saving that idea as I'm really trying to use up stash and get donation quilts made!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those big churn dashes made some great quilts for kids, Cathy! They're fun and happy! Glad you got your second vaccine dose and are on beyond the side effects, too.

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Great scrappy quilts and a wonderful donation. Glad you braved the FMQ and were happy.

Linda said...

Two fabulous quilts. I love the both colourways, a real jewel like look to them. Pleased to hear you’re happy with the new machine.

Linda said...

Absolutely gorgeous!!!!! Beautiful colors.

Nann said...

Having the two side-by-side emphasizes the two colorways. Lovely quilts! And thanks for the link to QBB.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Warm and cool... LOVE them both!!!

djquilting said...

Both of these look great. Love the churn dash block. Glad you got vaccines.

swooze said...

Wonderful! 2” strips, 5” centers and HSTs?

gayle said...

Fantastic quilts! Whether hot or cold, they're both pretty cool!
Glad to hear you got your shots!

---"Love" said...

Both quilts look really nice, and I'm sure they will be much loved by the recipients! They are a nice size. ---"Love"

Cathy said...

Beautiful finishes, Cathy! Those churn dashes really do lend themselves nicely to donation quilts. Mental note made. I had my second dose Thursday, and just like the first time, I had no reaction at all. Not even a sore arm. I’m always the odd one out.

Libby in TN said...

Hard to beat a churn dash or monkey wrench in my book. So easy but so much style!

MissPat said...

Two nice finishes and a chance to give that new machine a workout. You probably wish you'd broken down and gotten it sooner. I get my second shot tomorrow and I'm trying not to worry about side effects. I had only a sore arm the first time, but nearly everyone reports some reaction to the second. Well, except Cathy, who's the exception to the rule I guess.
Pat

mangozz said...

These quilts are so bright and colorful! They will make a couple of kids really happy, I'm sure. Glad you were able to use and appreciate your new DSM. Congrats on your second shot! I'm supposed to get my first next Wednesday.

Marianne said...

Your productivity is inspiring! Can you please share what type of DSM you are using for free motion? I am frustrated with my Elna, having replaced my beloved Viking Rose when its mother board died. I used to do a lot of FMQ but now find it too stressful due to tension issues. Other than that, I love the way my Elna sews and does walking foot quilting. Sometimes, though, it's nice to make swirls. Thanks!

Pamela Arbour said...

So glad to hear that your new machine made fmq easier. I always enjoy reading how you plan so far ahead to make such cool quilts

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh I love them!! Of course they are some of my most favorite blocks - but the warm and cool!! What a delight!! Hope you are feeling better today - and are all protected!!

QuiltGranma said...

Love these donation quilts, I'll save the idea, if my brain will do that at my advanced age, and try that out for some of the little ones that are happening again in the family!

Shami Immanuel said...

Gorgeous Quilts. Love the colours.