Friday, March 12, 2021

A New Top Inspired By A Vintage Quilt


I started making the little four inch (finished) Double X and Snowball blocks back in February 2019.  I made it one of my Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) projects and just used scraps and a Kona green mint piece of yardage I had on hand that I had bought long ago to finish a project but it was the wrong color of green for that project. So, I decided to use the mint green and make blocks each month until I ran out of the mint green yardage. I had to piece a couple of Snowballs to end up with enough blocks for a layout 48 x 64 which is a nice size for a lap quilt. 

I wasn't really sure I was going to like that mint green for the background but that's really all I had to use except for muslin or Kona Snow. I didn't want a neutral background and I'm really trying to make do so mint green it was. I really like it now as the background for the blocks. I was afraid it would not look good with all the different colors of scraps but thank goodness it does. 

I think the blocks were a little fiddly but worth it. 


 My March OMG (One Monthly Goal) was to assemble at least one top from the "Some Assembly Required Box" of complete block sets. This is top #1. There may be more. 



28 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

I am always so happy to see what you do with vintage inspiration and your scraps. I have one quilt that my grandmother made with that mint green as the background - I really like the way your green plays with your rainbow of scrappy colors.

Susie H said...

It's always a good day when we finish a quilt top and this one is a beauty. I love the mint green too and it's perfect for St. Pat's Day & Hello, Spring!

Teresa said...

A wonderful quilt, looking forward to see how it gets quilted.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

WOW WOW WOW!!1 This one is so awesome!!!! I think that was a perfect use of that green and it is just fabulous!!!

Sharon Kwilter said...

Looks wonderful. And thanks for the link to the original quilt. I have to explore their other photos as well.

JCH said...

I like yours better than the original. Much more colorful and eye pleasing. :)

darlynn said...

I too love the mint green. Great use of scraps and love that you had to piece a couple snowball blocks to make them work.

Julie in GA said...

Excuse me, but did you say 4" blocks?! No wonder the blocks were "a little fiddly." LOL! I never would have thought about using mint green as a background for blocks using a rainbow of colors, but it worked beautifully! I love this quilt, and agree with JCH that I like it better than the original.

Quilting Babcia said...

I'm just marveling at the amazing dimension those blocks have already achieved, especially with the sunshine on them! Beautiful!

Linda said...

That mint green works so well with all the other colours in the blocks. Good job you decided to use what you had on hand and make use of that mint green. Now I need to go back to your original RSC blogposts. Oh dear, not another idea of Cathy’s to try! 😂

---"Love" said...

That is just beautiful! I could look at it a long time! ---"Love"

Jenny said...

Great thinking to use the green fabric for the background, better to use what is on ha d than vo finally rush out and buy even more. Looking good!

Hubblebird said...

Absolutely stunning. It looks 3D. When do you ever even find time to sleep?

Cathy said...

Gorgeous!! 😍

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I loved that mint green when you started piecing those blocks, and I still do! That's a great design, Cathy!

sue s said...

I'll join the group of those loving the mint; I liked it when you first started working on it. Looks great as a finish.

SandyPA said...

Nicely done! I have a bunch of 10-inch Double X blocks ready to assemble. Maybe I should get on that.... Sandy at sewhigh.blogspot.com

audrey said...

Wow! This one is fantastic! Love the pops of color.:)

vincenzo126 said...

It's wonderful!
-Jean

vincenzo126 said...

It's wonderful!
-Jean

scraphappy said...

So fun to play with different background fabrics. The mint really does work well with all your colors. I love that it is based on a vintage quilt. Such a fun inspiration.

mangozz said...

I like the green for the background. Your quilt looks better than the original.

Deb A said...

That turned out great and I love the mint green! Look at you - completed goal and it's not even halfway through the month.

gayle said...

I've been admiring these itty bitty fiddly-bits all along! Who'da thunk that mint green would be so perfect?

Katie Z. said...

Your quilt is stunning!

QuiltGranma said...

Gorgeous! It will be fun to see the process from here in the finishing.

Nann said...

I like the shadow effect from the way it's displayed. 3-D!

Emily said...

I love the mint green background! Fun top!