Thursday, March 18, 2021

Not Just Because

I was doing a bit of blog reading one day and came across Nann's (With Strings Attached) blog post about some Sawtooth Stars she made "just because".   I love Sawtooth Stars and haven't made any in awhile although I have had two different ideas for Sawtooth Stars in the back of my mind for quite some time.   BUT I have a UFO started in 2018 according to my UFO list that was inspired by The Lincoln Museum Quilt.   A lot of times when inspired I will make a couple of blocks just to remind myself I want to use a certain set of fabrics to make a certain quilt. In this case I made two Sawtooth Stars and two Sixteen Patches and the fabrics I want to use up are old shirts and a small pile of homespun fabrics. 


So I recently made 16 more Sawtooth Stars not just because but because I want to move this UFO forward. 


Now I just need to make 15 more Sixteen Patch blocks and maybe by month end this set of blocks will be complete and ready for the Some Assembly Required box. 

You know...back in the day when I used to make clothes I would have really been bothered by unmatched plaids but that doesn't bother me at all today. 

Then one day I wandered into Gretchen's Little Corner and saw that she was making Split Nine Patch blocks. Well, how about that! I won a bunch of Split Nine Patches back in August 2016 and haven't done a thing with them. I think I counted 54 blocks and it's a good thing I put the directions for making the blocks in with them because I could not remember what was going on here. We were supposed to use either dark gray or dark purple on one side and white on the other. And then two squares on both sides were to be medium grays or purples. 

So anyway...Gretchen linked to a post at Quilting Twin that had a layout for Split Nine Patches that formed a star. I loved it. And that's what had me digging out my Split Nines. But my Split Nine blocks don't really seem like they look as nice in a Star layout, darn it. 

Guess I'll use this layout. A kind of secondary pattern is formed with the medium fabrics in the light and dark sections although the definition of medium is all over the place as far as value. But I think that will be okay. 

 So not just because but because I feel like moving this UFO forward I've been cutting pieces for more blocks on quilting breaks. Hopefully I can find enough purples and grays in the scrap bags. Make do!

9 comments:

gayle said...

Two more fun projects!

Linda said...

Great projects to move forward.

Nann said...

Glad to provide inspiration in return for all the ideas you give me! I have the Lincoln quilt book and I appreciate your reminder about it. Checkerboards and stars are a great combination. There's a general store in the Lincoln Museum in Springfield with bolts of cloth -- modern reproductions, not authentic mid-19th century.

cityquilter grace said...

very nice indeed....i have the pattern and a stack of plaids set aside for the lincoln museum quilt...it's on the list, i promise...LOL

Connie said...

These are so nice and I love how soft the old shirt fabric looks. It will be a magnificent quilt to cuddle up in, so warm and cozy :)

Gretchen Weaver said...

Grays and purples are going to make a lovely quilt, happy stitching!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Oh, pretty!! Split 9-Patch is on my To Make List.

QuiltGranma said...

Love your stars!

Shami Immanuel said...

Your star blocks looks nice. Love the colours of the fabric.