This is my husband's grandmother's (Celesta Leona Westendorf Petersen 1894-1970) old treadle sewing machine. It was in a cabinet but I took it out so I could fix a hinge on the cabinet. I'm also going to fix up the sewing machine so I can use it. Almost everything is in good shape except for some rust. According to the serial number 6956164 it was manufactured in 1885.
I've started using steel wool on that needle plate rust. I may wait until it is nicer outside and go out and use the Dremel on it. The rust is so bad that the needle plate parts are fused together. If I can get those pieces apart and off I can soak them to clean them. As far as moving parts...everything moves. I needed a new belt for the treadle and I've received that.
From my research I think this is an 1885 Singer Improved Family Model 15-1 treadle with an oscillating long beak shuttle, lock stitch drop feed,, serpentine fiddley shape bed plate and old style (simple) bobbin winder. Apparently the bobbin winder is missing. From research I have read that some folks use a sidewinder to wind bobbins but I will still go in search of a bobbin winder for this one.
The two drawer cabinet contained a box with some parts most of which I think I have identified.
It also contained this old paper about the machine. I thought at one time I saw a sewing machine booklet but don't see it now but I did find one on line.
I'm not sure what this thing is. Any guess?
I decided to dig this one out of storage and fix it up so I can use it because I seem to sew too much for today's machines and wear them out after a couple of years. At least that's what the Janome and Brother repair men have both told me. Sew too much???? Really?????
More on this one as I move along on my new project.
I'm also going to dig out my old Kenmore and clean it up and oil it and find room for it in my sewing space. It's in a flimsy old fiberboard cabinet so I may have to do something with that. But Old Kenny is very reliable after all these years. I think he's been around since the 70s and was mostly used back when I made most of the clothes for our family and several Barbie Dolls.
My last Brother sewing machine went in for repairs once again in January and I instead decided to put it to rest. When a machine goes into the shop for repair multiple times a year the costs start to add up. I've been sewing on an old Janome but it sure has a lot of tension problems and is the reason I bought the Brother. That and the fact that it was a very long trip to drop the Janome off for repairs.
I bought a new machine.
Brother PQ1500SL. It's nothing fancy but I think it will stand up better to "too much sewing". And I can easily oil it and maintain it myself I think.