Tuesday, January 26, 2021

One Thing Leads To Another

For several years I've sewn along with Julie and other Log Cabin Loonies to make a log cabin quilt. I decided to join in again this year and thought I would use a box of civil war reproduction scraps. 

But before I cut up all those scraps I decided to look at my UFO list to see if I had any UFOs that could benefit from those scraps. I found a box with some old Sunny Lanes swapped blocks.  The swap took place back in February 2015. 

In the box I had 15 blocks that finish at 12 inches.  I also had a little baggie of four patch blocks that I think were from a different swap. My first thought was that I would make five more blocks and with a
4  x  5 layout that would make a quilt 48 x 60 which is kind of a weird size. Most of the quilts I donate or gift for adults are closer to 60 x 80.  So...even though I didn't really feel like making 15 more blocks for a 5 x 6 layout and a quilt 60 x 72 I decided I would. 

So on breaks from quilting or top assembly I cut enough of those cw repro scraps to make 15 more Sunny Lane blocks.  


And after I had those parts cut and sewn I still had lots of scraps left so  I started cutting up those cw repro scraps to make my log cabin blocks. 

And then I sewed two rounds of logs on to my 48 log cabin centers. 

I still need to add three more rounds in order to end up with a 10 inch finished block. 

And now I have made 15 more Sunny Lane blocks, emptied a box and moved another UFO forward. 

This complete block set will now go into the big "some assembly required" box with other block sets and will be made into a top later. 


 

11 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Hooray for YOU - TWO projects moved forward!

Sherrill said...

I had never heard of the Sunny Lanes block so had to check quilterscache.com and there it was. I LOVE the civil war fabrics and your color choices. That may be on my already too long list!! LOL

Kathy S. said...

Oh your civil war fabrics are fabulous!!!

Linda said...

Goodness, what a lot of cutting and sewing you got done. I’ve never heard of Sunny Lanes either but I did Google it. So, another UFO being worked on. Well done!

mangozz said...

Beautiful fabrics in your log cabin blocks! I had considered joining in with that quilt along but I have too many projects already started. (you really wouldn't understand) Where do you get all of your energy?

Gretchen Weaver said...

Love the Sunny Lane blocks, so pretty. I never heard of either before. I'm off to google it. Happy stitching!

Janie said...

Thanks for sharing your process, I enjoy reading about your reasoning and planning, inspiring and encouraging!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh my gosh! you are just so prolific! Love the sunny lane and the Log cabins - the pinks in the middle are so cool!

QuiltGranma said...

I too am in love with your fabrics! I have loads of 1800's reprints, and have quite a few UFO's in those fabrics. Those Pink beginnings for Log Cabin Loonies, love, love love!

gayle said...

There you go! Sunny Lanes is now a rabbit just waiting for you to pull it out of your hat! Abracadabra!

Quilter Kathy said...

Love the idea of a box for "some assembly required" projects!