Saturday, January 9, 2021

Squares in Squares in Pink


The free pattern for this quilt is called Sun Print.  I'm using up some black on white scraps and Tone on Tone (TOT) scraps in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) color of the month. After I make 140 Square in Square blocks a half frame will be added to them like the top and middle left blocks. I've been cutting those frame pieces as I go along but they will not be added until later to make x and y blocks. 


Well, I am not really fond of the method in the pattern for making those blocks with "flippy corners" but I started down that road so I'll continue down that path. In my effort this year to use scraps as they happen I made those Hourglass blocks on the left with the trimmed "flippy corners".  They are in my trimming box with some Hourglass blocks on the right for my Log Cabin centers for Julie's Log Cabin Loonies SAL (Sew Along).  (That's another story for another time but I'm using civil war repro scraps to make that quilt.)


Then I made some 3 inch (finished) Square in Square blocks because I thought Gayle's were so cute. I'm calling them CHIPS...you know...paint chips, potato chips, chips off the old block...but not cow chips, chips on your shoulder, chip of fools...

I was tempted because I have a large shoe box of 2.5 black/white strips left over from a long ago swap. Time to put those to use.  

Then all this black and white business made me think of my Moon Garden medallion quilt started as a QAL.  I dropped out when the measurements given by the hostess were not correct on one of the rounds. Anyway, I thought before I used up all of my black/white fabrics I should assess what needs to be done to this UFO to move it forward. 

Looks like I was making some Spinning Star blocks which look like little flowers to me.  Instructions, pieces and parts and some finished block were in a plastic bag. Time to continue on. FYI, the Spinning Star blocks were one of the Tiny Tuesday RSC Sampler blocks. 


 

25 comments:

scraphappy said...

Your organization is serving you well. How fabulous that the printed directions were right there with the blocks. Chips is such a cute name. Makes you want to just crunch some more.

Gretchen Weaver said...

The pink fabrics look so nice floating with the black background fabrics. This is going to be a lovely quilt! The spinning star blocks do look like flowers. Happy stitching!

Sarah said...

Lovely fabrics and against the black they really pop!

Kathy S. said...

You always have beautiful projects happening. LOVE those little spinning stars--yes they look like flowers to me too. Beautiful pinks! Happy Saturday. :)

Quiltdivajulie said...

I have saved the sun print pattern for next year's RSC - this year is already overflowing. I love the "chips" thought! (and BTW - thanks for giving me another squirrel project - check out my post on Monday)

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a wide variety of PINK prints you are playing with this month, Cathy!

Kirsten said...

Love the contrast between the pinks and the black/white fabrics!

Nann said...

Good 'n Plenty!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Pink is a great color paired with the black and white backgrounds! Actually, I bet all bright colors are. :) It will be fun to see this quilt grow!

grammajudyb said...

“Time to make the donuts’ umm chips”. I’m fond of the pink with black on white, but really like the pink with the darker backgrounds! Chips, indeed! Betcha can’t make just one!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Thanks for the link to Sun Prints. I have been cutting for square in a square blocks with my die cutter and I like the offset and sashing in that pattern.

I'm enjoying all of your pink blocks.

Julierose said...

Lovely little block--I really like those paint chips a lot..are the centers 2.5"
Hugs, Julierose

Janie said...

Your Squares in Squares in Pink blocks are beauties!
Marvelous projects going on here.
Happy New Year Cathy!

Jenny said...

Pinks with black and white, so pretty. And the moonflower quilt looks interesting, perhaps we will see more of this one soon?

Deb A said...

I'm impressed that you found instructions with the parts and pieces of blocks! I have one bucket all cut out and have no clue where the pattern is from!

Ivani said...

Beautiful pinks in white and black or just black. It seems to be a fun quilt to make, thanks for the link to the pattern.

MissPat said...

Lots of action going on here. I'm still debating what blocks to do for RSC, but I have made some crumbs and string blocks and a some HST for the parts dept. I saw a quilt I thought I might do, but on further reflection decided against it for now.
Pat

gayle said...

Now you've got me wanting to call my blocks cow chips...

Cathy said...

I saw that Sally had added the half frames on the square in a square blocks, but until you pointed it out, I didn’t realize that was actually part of the pattern. Duh. So, now I’ll deliberate on whether to frame mine or make them with black corners too (since I have a huge bin of black scraps.) Or both, or neither. My brain has been malfunctioning this week. But I always love everything you do, so thanks for the ideas and the re-charge! xo

mangozz said...

Black and white and pink look wonderful together! As someone else said, Good and Plenty. Thanks for the link to the pattern. Whenever I try to return to a project, I hit a roadblock - I hardly ever have notes handy on block size and quantity, etc. I always think that I will remember and I don't, or it is written down on envelopes and scrap paper that get lost. If I used a pattern, it is not with the project and I have no idea where to begin to finish the project. It is just easier to start a new project. I need to get better organized like you.

Pamela Arbour said...

As always you have some great projects going

Ann said...

I occasionally use sew and flip but don't like it either. The waste bothers me and I spend loads of time trying to use up those tiny triangles.
Your black and white prints are wonderful together. How nice to move an old project along, too.

Cindy said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the pink with black & white!!!!!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I just know someone is going to make some actual cow chips - with cow fabric in the centers. Hard to say who it will be :)

Susie H said...

You are very busy! Love the Chips project and glad you can repurpose the leftovers from the flipped corners. I was looking at the moonflower ... was that part of the Tiny Tuesday project also? Probably something similar anyway. Thanks for all the inspiration in this post. The Log Cabin Loonies QAL looks fun too!